Does anyone listen to dubstep anymore?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Just started listening to Deadmau5, pretty good; it isn't all dubstep obviously.

Anyone got any other lovelies?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
You know someone has a fairly narrow view on music when they attempt to disparage a genre of music by comparing it in terms of quality to one that isn't remotely related.

Lets put it this way, I'd rather listen to anything but dubstep.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i only know who Deadmau5 is because of a Seananners minecraft video

some dubstep i like, most of it is crap

Apr 12, 2010
My friend sent some Burial my way. It's ok.
But I'm still not sure I understand what elements dubstep consists of. Most electronic music ends up sounding similar & lumped into same category.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
IMO dubstep is a shitty and pointless genre that just isn't pleasant to listen to.

superccs

Dec 29, 2004
I have a fun Dubstep Pandora radio station if you want me to share it with you... just LMK.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Are we talking dubstep? I.E. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7lVG9RqU1E
or brostep? I.E. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

(Sorry for the Skrillix but I don't listen to much Brostep and hes like the most popular artist of that genre)

But basically Brostep is a lot more aggressive and has that distinct Wubba Wubba everyone associates with dubstep (The one that sounds like two machines doing it) but THEY'RE 2 DIFFERENT GENRES!

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
TBH it all sounds like generic techno/trance to me and i have no idea what specifically makes anything "dubstep"

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
TBH it all sounds like generic techno/trance to me and i have no idea what specifically makes anything "dubstep"

Dubstep tends to use a ton of samples (voice clips, animal noises, static, machine noise, that sort of thing), is super bass-heavy, is often pretty erratic and disjointed. Most of it has a "dirty" sound. In a way, it's like the death metal of techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F21aifX0lZY

That's dubstep, from probably the most popular artist in the field.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
i only know who Deadmau5 is because of a Seananners minecraft video

some dubstep i like, most of it is crap

Deadmau5 isn't dubstep. Some of the mixes or productions he makes might be breakbeat, but none of it would be specifically classified as dubstep unless he was remixing a track that was D&B or something originally. You can't classify any of his original productions in these genres.

Most people don't even know what dubstep is, its just a slightly modified version of Drum and Bass which is actually just a version of breakbeat all of which has been around since the 90's.

They just gave it a different name and now its all of a sudden popular amongst the hipster facebook generation of morons who don't know WTF they're talking about.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Dubstep tends to use a ton of samples (voice clips, animal noises, static, machine noise, that sort of thing), is super bass-heavy, is often pretty erratic and disjointed. Most of it has a "dirty" sound. In a way, it's like the death metal of techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F21aifX0lZY

That's dubstep, from probably the most popular artist in the field.

Thats a pretty terrible way to describe it, you were pretty spot on until that phrase.

Its more like the underground hip hop of electronic music. Techno is a genre of electronic music all its own, and is actually more akin to that analogy you made then dubstep is. Most dubstep/drum and bass is based off similar electronics (effects, samples, etc) as hip hop music.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Most people don't even know what dubstep is, its just a slightly modified version of Drum and Bass which is actually just a version of breakbeat all of which has been around since the 90's

I definitely can't speak for the history of the genres but it seems to me that Dubstep and Drum and Bass are diverging *shrug* Could just be me though.