Does anyone know anything about renovating shipping containers as living spaces?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I cannot figure out how it would be cheaper than going with a traditionally built structure. If you compare apples to apples (same size structure, built on the same lot, same number of windows, either both built by a contractor or both built by self, same degree of insulation, same number of electrical outlets, same all the other amenities ), I'm even skeptical that you could do it cheaper with shipping containers.

It's more of a fad for yuppy "I'm going to go green, reuse, recycle everything" idiots.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I cannot figure out how it would be cheaper than going with a traditionally built structure. If you compare apples to apples (same size structure, built on the same lot, same number of windows, either both built by a contractor or both built by self), I'm even skeptical that you could do it cheaper with shipping containers.

It's more of a fad for yuppy "I'm going to go green, reuse, recycle everything" idiots.

I think it comes out cheaper in some places as old used shipping containers are very cheap. That and no brace panels, supports, etc... are needed for the steel wall so easier to inspect and pass code in some areas.

Comes down to where you live and all cost involved, including time as well.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
I looked into this very seriously for quite some time...as if that means anything. Even spent a few nights living in one to check it out. Shipping container homes are a nice idea in theory but they have quite a few drawbacks as previously mentioned.

What you're really in love with are three main points. They're cheap, they offer a kind of forced minimalism, and they 'Bauhausian' architecture looks beautiful in all the press shots. All great ideas but you're better off going with a stick (ie traditionally built) house.

Aside from the drawbacks listed earlier in the thread, shipping container houses just plain suck to live in. The ceilings are low, they conduct a lot of sound and everything is NOT engineered to be in there. Unless you import hardware/appliances from Japan then you'll feel pretty damn cramped.

What's the reason you really want to do this? The cheap living, the clean architecture or the minimal footprint?