Does anyone here utilize alternative energy resources at their home?

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
I'm curious if many people use alternative energy resources at their home.

From what I've read, solar is still developing and the return on investment isn't that great. Expensive for what it gives you.

I've thought about using wind power when I buy some country property a few years down the line (as I plan). I've also looked at property which had a river with powerful flow of water going through it which would work too. In Ontario, because of the way our hydro is structured, any power you generate can be sold back and they MUST buy it from you (!) because of the shortage.

Does anyone here use these?

When the summer blackout happened, some family I read about had solar power (roof covered in panels) so they weren't totally lights out. But from what I read they really didn't have a lot of power aside from lights and appliances (fridge & freezer). I think they couldn't even run their AC (which is a hog in its own).

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can sell electricity you generate to the power companies here, too.

But most people do not utilize alternative energy sources, unless they're homesteading or something.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
I have a perpetual motion machine in my apartment. We use it to power our tanning bed.

"In this house we obey the laws of themodynamics!" :|

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
I use my AMD machine to heat my house.

LOL so true. we have two PCs in my basement. There is no heating down there but the two PCs running keeps the place quite warm. Pretty hilarious because there is absolutely no heating down there.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
My dog farted near a candle last night. Warmed up the whole room. But then we had to open the windows.