Does anyone here refuse to use Uber or Lyft and still use cabs?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Nope. As much as I travel, I probably take a taxi 15% of the time and that's either because I'm somewhere that Uber/Lyft don't service or it's a spur of the moment decision and I don't want to bother with the app and waiting.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I own a car. And on the rare time I need a cab/taxi I usually call a car service I have used in the past. I refuse to use uber or lyft because I associate them with hipster douchbags and I hate hipster douchbaginess.

Reactions: Ken g6

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
I am 64, retired , giving up driving and am getting first cell phone so I can Uber. Don't want to go anywhere but I might.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I drive, but on the few occasions I've had to use Uber. I'd rather go with them than calling a cab.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm not even sure when the last time I used a cab was, never used Lyft/Uber.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
We hardly ever even need a cab being in suburbia and having cars. But when we do seldomly, such as when my wife needs one at the train, the cabs are already there lined up. Is she supposed to call an uber and wait for it? No shot.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
We hardly ever even need a cab being in suburbia and having cars. But when we do seldomly, such as when my wife needs one at the train, the cabs are already there lined up. Is she supposed to call an uber and wait for it? No shot.

It's a no brainer in NYC because cab/uber prices are very close to each other - in other markets, an Uber could be > 50% cheaper; if a customer opts for UberPool, savings could be even greater.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
On principle, I won't use Uber because (some of) their executives are frat boy d-bag types. At some point within the past 15 years, that became acceptable here in Silicon Valley business culture. Besides that, many other people have complained about their business practices, which include flouting regulatory requirements, ignoring local governments and trying to price Lyft out of business (the side effect of low rates is that drivers become low-paid).

I do use Lyft, and their CFO (?) claims they've raised enough money to sustain heavy losses. That isn't exactly a viable business model, but it's been said they care more about their drivers than Uber does.

If I had to choose between Uber and cabs, I'd... hitchhike? (I'd probably pick Uber because I'm frugal, but it's a close call.)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I never even think of those options (if they're even available here) so I always use a cab. It's rare I need a cab though. Maybe like once a year. I'm not sure how much cheaper Uber can really be though, they still need to make money, and gas is not cheap. That is the majority of the cost of running a cab/ride company.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't typically need taxi or uber or anything like that.

I bought my woman a car so that if I need a lift, she can drive me.
If she is not available, then I ask a relative or a friend.

About the only time we use taxis is when we are travelling. For example, when we cruise, we will usually take a taxi from the port to some other destination.

Also, if we are walking around the french quarter of new orleans, we will grab a cab back to the Hotel whenever we feel like going back at the end of the night.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I would... but I don't have a smartphone and take 1 cab every few years.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I refuse to use them, but then I get good rates from a couple of local cab firms as I know the owners & some of the drivers. Even if I didn't I would never use the criminals at uber or any similar organisation.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have not used Uber nor Lyft. I would have to read up on them to figure out how to use them. I think that over the course of a long, fulfilling life I ridden in a taxi less than ten times. There is something about the interior of a taxi that suggests to me that if one could ride in a hooker's armpit, it would be like this.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Come to think of it, what is the thing that some people have against regular cabs? I can't say I ever had an issue with them. Yeah they're expensive, but that's because gas is so expensive, they need to make up that cost somehow + make profit. It also does not help that they are ridiculously regulated. They can't charge less even if they wanted to, the regulations dictate the prices. Any time I've called a cab there is one in my driveway within 5 minutes (often faster, I don't know how they do it) and they bring me where I need to go.

I occasionally use them to get to work if there's too much snow and I don't have time to clear the car/snow bank etc.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I live about 8 miles from the Los Angeles International airport. Taking cabs, shuttles, rideshare to/from there is pretty much the only reason I take any of those things. Since Uber started being able to drop off and pick up from the airport, I've used nothing except them.

Cab costs ~$40, you deal with a maniac, and they're always pissed that I'm traveling only about 8 miles. I need to wait for a cab as long as I need to wait for an Uber if leaving from home.

Shuttle costs ~$20 ($40 round trip), and they sometimes pick up others on the way to the airport. Getting a ride home means waiting 10-40 minutes for the shuttle to show up.

A single trip on Uber costs vary from ~$13 to $22 depending on how many are around and traffic. It wins on price and convenience.

Reactions: TeeJay1952

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Hell I refuse to use cabs or a bus. That's why I pay to have a car.