Question Does anyone here miss cool looking colorful computer cases?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Once upon a time, all PC cases were all boring beige and white boxes. Then Apple released the iMac in 1998, and for a brief moment we have a bunch of manufacturers who were making colorful computer cases to compete. One of my favorites was the Sony VAIO, which was a cool combination of gray with purple accents:

1602983415433.png

This era only seemed to last for a few years, before Apple switched over to making white and silver colored computers from 2002 onward. Most of the PC manufacturers followed suit, and PC cases have all been various boring shades of Gray, Silver, or Black ever since. Sure, you can get them with a window or cheesy LED lighting, but the cases themselves all seem to look pretty similar.

Does anyone else miss the era of colorful PC cases? Anyone else have a favorite that they would like to mention?

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My cases have been black for the last 4 builds. Sadly my new build will have a tempered glass window, as Fractal Design doesn't appear to make the Define 7 without one.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
What case is that?
I can't remember.

I saw it on Newegg when I posted the image. I just tried to find it again, and I couldn't find it.

Not sure if it's something that's discontinued or not, or if I'm just not able to find it.

Discontinued..
In-Win 805 ∞

well that was the original OEM who brought it out first..
There are other knockoff like the CUK Continuum which i think u can still get on amazon.

As for the case, no comment.... it was expensive tho as it was made from alu, and well alu cases are all expensive.

Reactions: UsandThem

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Discontinued..
In-Win 805 ∞

well that was the original OEM who brought it out first..
There are other knockoff like the CUK Continuum which i think u can still get on amazon.

As for the case, no comment.... it was expensive tho as it was made from alu, and well alu cases are all expensive.
Thanks!
Maybe I'll just have to consider a DIY solution...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Reactions: nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

There are kits available for certain cases.
The NZXT 510 is actually on my list of candidates for the case on my next build.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I built a system from a 1995 Compaq Proliant Server case that was given to me from the junk pile of a small computer store. It was bigger than a standard full tower. I wish I hadn't given it to my brother, but he's got it. It would've been great for successive builds, because it could accommodate a large radiator, had caddies for all the drives, etc.

Then I acquired this Coolermaster Stacker 83[x]. There were so many variations of this 830/831/832 case, I'm not sure which one I have. But there are a lot of things you can do with it.

These new cases with tempered glass side-panels and all the bling from the LED fans don't seem to be much different than any old case I've seen. But as I said in a recent thread I started, I'm expecting a "pre-owned" Stacker to arrive by Saturday, with the precise features and design of the one I have. A fourteen-year-old case design, which priced out at about $200 to $250 back in 2007. I got the pre-owned for $150 -- what I'd paid a local friend for this one I already have.

It isn't so much the appearance of a case that is high in my priority list. I just want certain features for air-flow mods and my own approach to cooling. Because it's a matter of my personal customizations, I can't really advise anyone to buy any specific case.