Does anyone here know anything about old Schwinn Stingray bicycles?

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I have an old Schwinn Stringray bike that I owned as a kid in the 70's and I just don't have any room for it any longer. It's a little rough around the edges because it's been sitting for years. I'm just wondering if someone here knows anything about their value or where I could go to get more information about it. I have seen people use the old Schwinn Stringray frames for making chopper style bicycles and wondered if there was a demand.

TIA,

Sal

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Someone will buy it. Either a collector or someone into lowriders. It's probably not worth a WHOLE lot, though. Maybe $100.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Unless it's really rough it probably does have some collector's value - I'd say ebay it and see what you get.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
The problem with Fleabay is that it's very difficult to ship. I guess I could put it up for local pick up or something.

Sal

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Salvador
The problem with Fleabay is that it's very difficult to ship. I guess I could put it up for local pick up or something.

Just put buyer pays for actual professional packing and shipping. Take the bike to a bike shop that does bike packaging and shipping. Easy. Biker buyers already know shipping is going to be high.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Original StingRays are actually worth a fair chunk of change.

A quick scan through Google had several listed for $250.00 + (even in marginal condition, they were getting well above $100.00)

If it's a "Krate" (Orange Krate, Apple Krate ...) it can be worth quite a lot.

Your other option, if you want to go through the trouble, is to sell it in parts, which would probably get your more money, but you'll have more time invested.

A guy I work with found a ~WWII era Schwinn (with the fake tank on the bar, headlight ... big ol' clunky thing) while cleaning his parent's garage. The guy at the bike shop offered over $2000.00 in fair-to-bad condition. So Mike had it restored ... it's s'posed to be worth $4500-5000.00 now. He even paid a guy with the original "Schwinn" leather stamp $250.00 to put the (original) logo on the new seat.

Now it looks so good he doesn't want to sell it ... and it's worth so much, he doesn't want to ride it ... so it hangs on the basement wall.

FWIW

Scott

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
If it's a krate it's worth BIG $$$.

I have seen Apple Krates bring as much as $7,000 + on Ebay.

A Apple Krate owned by the Schwinn Family fetched $14.000 !!!