Question Does anyone have any idea how to better diffuse the LEDs better?

NoxMorbis

Oct 16, 2022
I took the diffuser apart and sanded off the Enermax paint, then sanded both the diffuser and the top smoked piece front and back, but as you can see, that worked well. Any ideas how to diffuse those LEDs? The problem is that I can't get the light far enough away from the diffuses, but I'm hoping there is another way.

PXL_20221101_055329051.jpg

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
What grit did you use to sand the piece? Did you put any paint back on it? We always used 400-600 grit wet sand paper on acrylic back when I did car stereo installation. But we typically edge lit most stuff. You could try painting the piece with a light coat of frosted paint.

NoxMorbis

Oct 16, 2022
What grit did you use to sand the piece? Did you put any paint back on it? We always used 400-600 grit wet sand paper on acrylic back when I did car stereo installation. But we typically edge lit most stuff. You could try painting the piece with a light coat of frosted paint.

I started with 200 grit to get the best diffusion, but then went to 2000 grit to smooth out ONE side of the top diffuser. The internal diffuser I left at 200 grit. Edge lighting allows more distance between the LED and the end point, which help tremendously. However, I can't do it that way. Also, this is plexi not glass. The very top is 1/8" smoked plexi. I wonder if I cut a piece of white translucent and repalced the original wiht that if it would help? However, the inbetween diffuser is already white translucent, and we can see how that's working out. I'm thinking maybe the best option is some design cut with a Cricut machine. I don't have one :(

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I started with 200 grit to get the best diffusion, but then went to 2000 grit to smooth out ONE side of the top diffuser. The internal diffuser I left at 200 grit. Edge lighting allows more distance between the LED and the end point, which help tremendously. However, I can't do it that way. Also, this is plexi not glass. The very top is 1/8" smoked plexi. I wonder if I cut a piece of white translucent and repalced the original wiht that if it would help? However, the inbetween diffuser is already white translucent, and we can see how that's working out. I'm thinking maybe the best option is some design cut with a Cricut machine. I don't have one :(
You can still paint plexiglass (acrylic). You could also try frosted window film. Have you tried sanding the white piece too?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'd need the system in my hands to be sure, but are these typical 5mm encapsulated LEDs with a bullet shape, dome on the front?

If so, that shape is focusing the LEDs. Simply sand them flat, and if you want a little more forward light, polish the flat, fronts. I cannot say if this will be too much stress on the PCB they are mounted on, another complimentary option then is to build a dam around the LED circuit board, flood in between them with clear epoxy (use a decorative type that does not yellow with UV exposure, not just regular hardware store adhesive type) which will not only fortify the LED array when you sand but also diffuse some light all by itself.

Would it be too much? I have no idea what you are trying to achieve. I don't want to see my system at all.. under a desk.

NoxMorbis

Oct 16, 2022
I don't want to see my system at all.. under a desk.
HAHA, I'm about there myself. Just trying to achieve a nice looking display case. There are two covers to the bock, the lower milky piece and the top smoked clear piece, which i sanded. The bottom piece would hold the resin perfectly, since it is inbetween the LEDs and pump housing and the top smoked piece. The inbetween piece is also shaped like a reservoir, so it would hold the resin at about 3/8" to 1/4" cup like reseviour. That's a permanent deal, though. Work or not, it's done--lol. It would be easy though. I might try it. I could mix up some translucent white resin.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i +1 the frosted acrylic to try to defuse, and space the LED a bit far back if possible.
Maybe addiing lenses might also help depending on the LED.

Led Lens

NoxMorbis

Oct 16, 2022
i +1 the frosted acrylic to try to defuse, and space the LED a bit far back if possible.
Maybe addiing lenses might also help depending on the LED.

Led Lens
I can't move the LEDS back because there are in the bottom of the water block. I think I found a solution, however. I'll have to actually install it today and see how it looks, but initial tests look good (I just cut a small square, and held it agonist the top of the water block. Perfect!)

NoxMorbis

Oct 16, 2022

Attachments

• PXL_20221112_045936215.jpg
    PXL_20221112_045936215.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 2