Does anyone have a drastic career change story?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Here's the problem... I hate my current job as a software engineer. I'd like to do something completely different, like be a park ranger. This would mean that all my computer science education would be pretty much worthless, and that I might have to go back to school for a job that doesn't pay nearly as much. Has anyone else had the courage to do this sort of thing?

alpineranger

Feb 3, 2001
A few of my dad's co-workers have done this sort of thing:

Physician -> Architect
Physician -> Tech company PR exec
Physician -> Oriental rug dealer

My dad has little love left for his job as well. He wants to either 1) get into the tech field (he has a BSEE), or 2) be a carpenter (and I must admit that he would make a very good one). Unfortuately, a career change at this point would not be advisable since he has to pay for my tuition (I'm on my way to becoming another disgruntled software engineer). If you can handle losing your paycheck, I say go for it. If you really don't like your job, get out while you still can. It only gets harder to leave.

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001

<< Here's the problem... I hate my current job as a software engineer. I'd like to do something completely different, like be a park ranger. This would mean that all my computer science education would be pretty much worthless, and that I might have to go back to school for a job that doesn't pay nearly as much. Has anyone else had the courage to do this sort of thing? >>

I just did. I was an auto technician making decent money.
I just got tired of it, so my wife and I worked our butts off
to cut down our bills and I quit my job in January to return
to school.

It is tough because of the loss of my income now, but it will be
for the better in the long run.

DD