Does anyone else use StraightTalk? I ported both of my iPhones over!

Apr 20, 2008
AT&T Family Plan
-500 shared minutes
-unlimited text
-2GB for iPhone #1
-200MB for iPhone #2
-20% military discount
$124.90 EVERY MONTH :colbert::thumbsdown:

StraightTalk
-unlimited minutes
-unlimited text
-unlimited data
-no military discount :'(
$45 for each phone per month! $90!:awe:

The service has been exactly the same as AT&T in my house (typically -96 is my signal strength in my basement). The only issue I have is it seems like the data is somewhat slowed. SpeedTest app doesn't even work. Just shows 0's. And the data for all of my apps (opera mini, words with friends, safari, etc) has a momentary delay (third to two-thirds of a second) before data is processed. My wife and I both have an iPhone 3GS.

Anyone have any opinions?

Moved from OT to Mobile
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I'm on Straight Talk with my AT&T SGS3. Also in your city.

Don't use the APN settings Straight Talk provides. That's why your Speed Test app isn't working (their proxy blocks it) and it's why your data connection is slower. If you can edit your APN settings (not sure since you're on an iPhone), you want them to look like this (some of the fields may look different since I'm on Android):

Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: (leave blank)
Port: (leave blank)
User Name: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)
Server: (leave blank)
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: (leave blank)
APN Type: default,mms,supl

The default APN settings Straight Talk provides you has you setup a proxy and port for your data connection, which kills the bandwidth. Using their default APN settings, I was getting 1.5Mbps down max; now with the proxy/port fields left blank, I'm getting up to 5Mbps down max.

For MMS to work on an iPhone, you'll probably need to jailbreak the device or go through some other convoluted process to give you access to the MMS APN settings.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2008
Wow. Thanks for the input. Once I jailbreak my 3GS (waiting for an untethered JB for 6.0) I'm almost certain that the "tetherme" app on cydia will allow those changes.

Overall has the service and coverage remained identical to an AT&T plan?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's identical.

With the money you save on your monthly bill, maybe you can get a newer iPhone.

I'm not an Apple guy myself, but even an iPhone 4 feels light years ahead of the 3GS. It's probably the jump to the Retina display.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
It's identical.

With the money you save on your monthly bill, maybe you can get a newer iPhone.

I'm not an Apple guy myself, but even an iPhone 4 feels light years ahead of the 3GS. It's probably the jump to the Retina display.

Plus it's 11ty billion times faster. I have a 4S now - my 3GS was practically unusable toward the end.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Did the same, dropped ATT, but went to pageplus.

$90ish a month cut down to less than $20 a month.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Buy 3 month refills at Walmart for 126 making it $42/mo or 84/mo for both phones.

There is no field for proxy settings on an iPhone. Did you just use unlockit.co.nz ?
Speedtest app should work, mine does. Try cycling airplane mode for 10 seconds a few times.

Apr 20, 2008
Buy 3 month refills at Walmart for 126 making it $42/mo or 84/mo for both phones.

There is no field for proxy settings on an iPhone. Did you just use unlockit.co.nz ?
Speedtest app should work, mine does. Try cycling airplane mode for 10 seconds a few times.

I did use unlockit.co.nz. I'll do that. It hasn't worked since I did the move and I've powered down several times. I'll let you know.

Fwiw, since iOS 5.1.1 the 3GS went back to the snappiness that was present at 4.3. iOS 5.0 was completely awful on the 3GS. I'd have more then a second pause while doing anything and everything. That's gone now. I'd get a new phone, but I only use it for a few things these days and the 3GS is still pretty fast at. If I wanted 3d navigation and other features, I'd do it.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Is it possible to have multiple phones/sims on a single Straight Talk account?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

You mean multiple phone numbers? Or multiple SIMs for one phone number? I think one SIM = one phone#, unless you clone it somehow.

Consider using Google Voice if you want one number to ring on multiple different phones.

Dunno if ST allows multiple lines under one billing/account. I'd guess they do.

Ryun

Nov 28, 2008
Never heard of StraightTalk. Prices look great thanks for sharing.

I'm on a prepaid t-mobile monthly 4G plan for $30/month and the StraightTalk plan for $30/month is almost identical, so I don't think I'll switch. Than said, ponying up for a year pre-paid gives me an effective per month cost of $41.25/month which could be a good deal for me if I ever need anymore than the 30MB I get from T-mobile per month... or if Tmobile ever goes under.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004

Well you make a account that you login to on their website. You can have all lines listed under 1 account, yes. Then you can set them to auto refill and forget about it.

Your question is kind of weird. Accounts on prepaid aren't what they are on postpaid service. Technically, you don't have to ever make an online account on prepaid and just buy refills at walmart and add them to your balance via text message. You would have to buy the refills and add them to each phone separately. This isn't like postpaid where ATT sends you a total bill every month. You pay for each phone separately, unless you do auto-refill as mentioned above.

That make sense?

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
Straight talk is amazing. I'm not sure why anyone would use the big guys (data speeds i guess?).

Too bad Canada won't get on the ball with cell pricing.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
How much data are you guys using? I thought ST didn't like users exceeding 1.5GB?

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
How much data are you guys using? I thought ST didn't like users exceeding 1.5GB?

I use 1-1.5GB/month.

My iPhone says since beginning of Sept until today I used 3.8GB. I've been throttled once and after contacting a few reps I was finally unthrottled and back to normal.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000

Does MMS on the iPhone work if you use unlockit.co.nz, or do you need to still edit the APNs? I have an unlock pending for my wife's out of contract iPhone, which should allow me to then edit APNs without jailbreaking, but I'm just curious if MMS works without that.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Well you make a account that you login to on their website. You can have all lines listed under 1 account, yes. Then you can set them to auto refill and forget about it.

Your question is kind of weird. Accounts on prepaid aren't what they are on postpaid service. Technically, you don't have to ever make an online account on prepaid and just buy refills at walmart and add them to your balance via text message. You would have to buy the refills and add them to each phone separately. This isn't like postpaid where ATT sends you a total bill every month. You pay for each phone separately, unless you do auto-refill as mentioned above.

That make sense?

I understand. I'm basically looking to lower my cell phone bill, so I would definitely enroll in auto-refill. I simply wanted to know if I'll have to maintain two accounts to manage both. It would be easier for me to have both phones under one 'web login'.

Apr 20, 2008
I understand. I'm basically looking to lower my cell phone bill, so I would definitely enroll in auto-refill. I simply wanted to know if I'll have to maintain two accounts to manage both. It would be easier for me to have both phones under one 'web login'.

I haven't had to pay a bill besides my first months, however, both of my sim's show up under one single login. I created a login when I first activated my phone. When I activated my wife's phone I logged into my account instead of creating a new one, and bam! Both phones on one login.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

This isn't official from ST but 100MB a day and you should be safe.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone#Unlimited_Data

Unlimited Data

Even though Straight Talk advertises this plan as being Unlimited, numerous people have been cut off for using a lot of data. Bottom line is do not abuse your data on Straight Talk, if you do, they will close your account or disable your data.
It is generally considered safe to use 2GB a month and 100MB a day. You can use My Data Usage Pro (among others) from the Appstore to keep track of your data usage.
There is a discussion about this and more tips on this matter here