Does anyone else have a moral issue with nuking Afghanistan?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I have read a large number of posts on this forum demanding that we nuke Afghanistan. Does anyone else beside me see any moral issues in the murder of millions of people? Do we really want to join the mass-murder fraternity of Hitler, Stalin, and Japan to name a few?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I'd have big issues with using nukes. It only kills a portion of the people it affects instantly. The rest die over a period of hours to years from burns and radiation poisoning. I don't think the US is crazy enough to do that. We've all heard of the concept of mutually assured destruction, right? We nuke them, and somebody is going to nuke us.

Nexx

Sep 15, 2001
Even considering using nukes just show lack of knowledge and lack of respect for human life. Not only is it insane from a political view, as it would create far, far more enemies than it would kill, it's also insane from a moral perspective. Think about it, if we kill civilans on intention, what would then make us any better than them who we condemn? We would have shown the exact same lack of respect for human life.

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
Because of the equipment (or lack of) and the numbers of soldiers, it woul dbe impossible for Afganistan to commit to traditional warfar, they most likely will turn to guerrila tactics, hide their numbers in civilian camps, and use the terrain for snipe/hit-and-run/ambush attacks. Because of this, I doubt the use of nuclear weapons would do much good. Not so much the force or need of them, but more like the need for a target. Not a whole lot now in that country torn apart by civil war and drought.

bobachad

Banned
Sep 20, 2001
If we didn't have to worry about giving russia a reason to nuke us I would say wipe them out and start out. They could use some bleach in their gene pool.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001

<< If we didn't have to worry about giving russia a reason to nuke us I would say wipe them out and start out. They could use some bleach in their gene pool. >>

Russia fought Afghanistan for 10 years, and resulted in a bitter defeat for them. If we wanted to nuke Afghanistan, Russia would be asking how they could help us. Russia isn't our enemy anymore. They're not exactly our "friends", but we've come a long way.

Though, I agree that nukes are not necessary here. The political and diplomatic reprocussions far out-strip any marginal military benefit.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
you shouldnt worry about Russia's nukes, you should worry about terrorist nukes. They dont have ICBMs, but they have duffle bags and legs...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Absolutly. The people of Afghanistan are just Americans who live in a different country. We shouldn't kill people who would find it imoral to kill us, but we also have to find a way to stop people whose common decency has been supplanted by an idiological belief that killing people who wouldn't kill them is justified. Whatever else these types may be, they are criminally insane and must be stopped. If we do it right, not only will we be better off, everybody else will too. Because the terrorist lives within the healthy body of humanity, provound thought, time, and consensus building will be required to arrive at a universal and acceptable strategy for deeling with them. Because people have been known to hack off a limb to prevent the spread of cobra venom, societies who harbor terrorists, heretofore, on the vague assumption that their targets aren't local, will have to rethink their approach. The greatest weapon against terrorism is that it is wrong and not something that people with healthy minds do. To war, then, against what sickens the mind, is to war against the root source of this scourge. To war in that way, of course, is to love.

mesonw

Aug 8, 2001
Lets just hope the desire to show how America will NOT be messed with won't pan out in the brutest amount of force possible. I agree it's unlikely for nuclear weapons to be used, but look how emotional Bush has been getting. We need someone with a bit more cool, calm and collectiveness to be making such decisions - not someone who is overcome with emotion. Understandable though the emotion is, it shouldn't be involved when making such large decisions.

Moonbeam - what a stupid sig.

Phunktion

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
I don't care how bad our possible enemies might look to us, in my eyes as long as they are human nukes never have to be used against them and they never should be..

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
The idea of using nukes scares the crap out of me. I think it should only be used in a very last resort. I do not beleive the USA would use them unless we had no other choice, but I beleive our enemies wouldn't hesitate to use them. I wish we would have spent more time and money in missle defense to help avoid the USA from becoming a victim of a nuke attack.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
people are saying "nuke afghanistan" only because they are incredibly pissed and feel helpless to do anything. I don't think anyone here would advocate using nuclear weapons there. Just imagine how the world would rain hate upon us if we took such an action?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001

<< as long as they are human nukes never have to be used against them and they never should be.. >>

Point taken, but the last time I checked dead was dead, whether due to vaporization or being blown to bits.

Dhruv

May 15, 2001

<< I have read a large number of posts on this forum demanding that we nuke Afghanistan. Does anyone else beside me see any moral issues in the murder of millions of people? Do we really want to join the mass-murder fraternity of Hitler, Stalin, and Japan to name a few? >>

The people who say these things are idiots that dont know whats going on or the political situation there. Or, if they do know, they are cowards that want to take an easy way of trying to win this battle, even though it won't work. They speak from emotion, not from logic, and that makes them weak.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

<< I have read a large number of posts on this forum demanding that we nuke Afghanistan. Does anyone else beside me see any moral issues in the murder of millions of people? Do we really want to join the mass-murder fraternity of Hitler, Stalin, and Japan to name a few? >>

I think we can safely dismiss these people as either trolls or utter morons. No rational, respectful, good person can justify nuking anyone in this situation.

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
No Nukes.

They should be used poltically, not figuratively.

But, we all know. If someone drops one or blows one up on us, goodbye. WWWIII

Unclemo

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
no

neutron nukes place in the mountains where the morons are hiding and away from the occupied cities would be fine. I think that is pretty generous since many of the civilians in the cities hate us and find happiness in our suffering.

Unclemo

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
what do you mean not learning from past mistakes? It was not a mistake to use em on Japan. It helped end the war and took em out. It did what was needed. It was not pretty, but it was very effective.

Lets just hope the desire to show how America will NOT be messed with won't pan out in the brutest amount of force possible. I agree it's unlikely for nuclear weapons to be used, but look how emotional Bush has been getting. We need someone with a bit more cool, calm and collectiveness to be making such decisions - not someone who is overcome with emotion. Understandable though the emotion is, it shouldn't be involved when making such large decisions.

I think he has been very calm.. has not done anything yet when most Americans would like to see action. He has at the same time shown his strength and determination in finding and seeking justice against those who have done this. You are just bashing Bush and stretching your Ahole. Losen up and get a grip. Bush has shown strength, calmness, rationality and dedication to this whole ordeal. Your comment just makes you look radical and desperate.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Good gawd, people. We're NOT going to nuke anybody unless they nuke us. It's against international laws and treaties to use weapons of mass destruction (Gas/Bio/Nuke) first.

To do so would tear apart the coalition we have built, and turn world opinion against us. Our leaders are NOT that stupid.