Does anyone else HATE HIDS *^&(*&(*)(

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
And not the crappy aftermarket kind, even the stock lexus's now etc. They kill my night vision and sometimes even hurt my eyes. I swear some of the idiots driving them just leave their high beams on permanently, because they are either so amazed at what they can see, or they are mad they don't get a huge advantage with regular beams.

Drives me crazy...anyone else have this problem? I am a contact lens wearer, maybe that has something to do with it. :)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Heh, people flash their lights at me all the time. I just turn on my high beams - KABLAM-POW! That's my high beams, but thanks for letting me know.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm guessing you mean those super bright blue headlights that the ignorant self-centered wigger wannabes use to try and make the world think that their fifty dollar Honda is a race car? If so, yes, they annoy the heck out of me. Those same half wits are always trying to drive under my truck.

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006
American cars have brighter headlamps then cars in the European market... My mother got a new US-Spec BMW while we were in Germany and I noticed when riding in the car at night that the germans would flash their high-beams thinking that my mom had hers on, but they weren't. Since I learned how to drive in Germany and my first few years of driving were mostly in Germany, when I moved back to the states a few laters, it was a bit of a strain on my eyes since every car in the states has really bright headlamps, and I'm not talking about xenon lamps... halogen lamps too.

The worse vehicles with xenons are American or Japanese luxury SUV's, since they don't use the mechanism that adjust the headlamps to maintain a certain angle to help prevent from blinding oncoming traffic. Most if not all european car makers use the mechanism to constantly adjust the angle of the headlamps since most vehicles (cars, buses, semi's) in Europe now only use xenon lamps

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Greenman
I'm guessing you mean those super bright blue headlights that the ignorant self-centered wigger wannabes use to try and make the world think that their fifty dollar Honda is a race car? If so, yes, they annoy the heck out of me. Those same half wits are always trying to drive under my truck.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Heh, my Mazda 3s Grand Touring Hatch has them stock. I love 'em.

That being said, I've never really had a problem with oncoming traffic blinding me with HIDs. I don't know what's wrong with your eyes -- maybe they're just overly sensitive or maybe you just like to bitch a lot :D That being said, I have more of a problem with idiots with regular lamps using their high beams than HIDs blinding me on their normal settings.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the problem is that the US headlight design is different to the Euro design.

Although in Europe, the headlights are (or used to be) slightly brighter, there are different regulations about the shape and angle of the beam. In Europe, the beam must point 0.8 degrees below horizontal or lower. (1 degree for SUVs). Whereas in the US, it's around 0.6 degrees. Whereas in Europe, the beam shape has a sharp cut-off over to the left, this is not as aggressive on US spec lamps.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: TheDro
American cars have brighter headlamps then cars in the European market... My mother got a new US-Spec BMW while we were in Germany and I noticed when riding in the car at night that the germans would flash their high-beams thinking that my mom had hers on, but they weren't. Since I learned how to drive in Germany and my first few years of driving were mostly in Germany, when I moved back to the states a few laters, it was a bit of a strain on my eyes since every car in the states has really bright headlamps, and I'm not talking about xenon lamps... halogen lamps too.

The worse vehicles with xenons are American or Japanese luxury SUV's, since they don't use the mechanism that adjust the headlamps to maintain a certain angle to help prevent from blinding oncoming traffic. Most if not all european car makers use the mechanism to constantly adjust the angle of the headlamps since most vehicles (cars, buses, semi's) in Europe now only use xenon lamps

Yup as my OP started to say, its the Lexus SUVs that really get to me around here, it's what all the soccer moms have upgraded to.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: NFS4

That being said, I've never really had a problem with oncoming traffic blinding me with HIDs. I don't know what's wrong with your eyes -- maybe they're just overly sensitive or maybe you just like to bitch a lot :D That being said, I have more of a problem with idiots with regular lamps using their high beams than HIDs blinding me on their normal settings.

I can't help that I am so low to the ground, so every SUV out there shines their lights into my windshield and rear view mirror. Then I just speep up and then I get pissed even more because they speed up with me, but then I laugh like hell as they have to break hard to keep from losing grip around the turns on the back roads here because they got to caught up in trying to be a big jackass who owns the road in his crappy import SUV.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra

I can't help that I am so low to the ground, so every SUV out there shines their lights into my windshield and rear view mirror. Then I just speep up and then I get pissed even more because they speed up with me, but then I laugh like hell as they have to break hard to keep from losing grip around the turns on the back roads here because they got to caught up in trying to be a big jackass who owns the road in his crappy import SUV.

Crappy import SUV vs a crappy Fox-based Pony car? :D

**runs** :D

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: TheDro
American cars have brighter headlamps then cars in the European market...
Wrong.

In most cases, the bulbs are the same, putting out the exact same number of lumens. In cases where different bulbs are used, the European bulbs almost always put out more lumens than their American counterparts.

The difference is that the specified beam patterns are different. The US-Spec beam pattern has a very poor horizontal cutoff and allows a much larger amount of light to be directed upwards than the European-spec beam pattern. Because of this, US-Spec headlights cause more glare for other drivers.

ZV

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra

Crappy import SUV vs a crappy Fox-based Pony car? :D

**runs** :D

*Pulls out pitchfork*

Hey, I own a volvo, and yup the door panels on both my SVT's rattle when I close them, but hell nothing is better than the american muscle engine and the go fast machine. I'm not driving it for luxary. Also pertaining to the fox body comment, my IRS does very well thank you very much. You may say differently, but my right foot tends to agree.

beemercer

Feb 10, 2006
They don't bother me that much when I'm in my truck, but they are very irritating when i am in a smaller car.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Heh, people flash their lights at me all the time. I just turn on my high beams - KABLAM-POW! That's my high beams, but thanks for letting me know.

You seem to be proud of being an asshole...

Odd.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs

Odd.

That's not being an asshole. It's acknoldging that I received their good gesture and simply show them my brights aren't on.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
That's not being an asshole. It's acknoldging that I received their good gesture and simply show them my brights aren't on.
:laugh::thumbsup::evil:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs

Odd.

Flashing them in return is fine. Turning them on is being an asshole.