Does anyone else find their treadmill's incline routine(s) extremely challenging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I can run circuits outside with varied inclines all day, but when I attempt to do my treadmill's preset incline, the easy one no less, I find it intimidatingly hard. It fluctuations between 2.5 & 4.5 nonstop. Is this what a person of average fitness level would be able to do for 4 or 5 miles (my typical run)?

It's frustrating to me because I will be able to run it sometimes, but find it next to impossible @ other times relatively early on, even when I've rested a day, ate well, etc. It just seems to get more difficult rather than easier....I don't understand. I'm typing this just after I quit running @ 1.8 miles. I'm going to jump back on, but I'm just so damn pissed. Why do I get weaker and not stronger when I work out?

I've read that a lot of people run longer distances @ either no incline or just 1% the whole time. Would this be more advisable when running longer distances?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Circuits of XXX meters multiplied by X repeats with x:xx break in time != running at a constant uphill for 4-5 miles at one time. Even the most in shape runners who normally incorporates track work and hills won't be able to hold their normal race pace for 4-5 miles of straight uphill of varying degrees.

If you do run inside, it's recommended to have at least a 1 incline on to more accurately mimic the uneven surface of the road, the various incline/declines, weather, etc.

I do plenty of hill repeats but you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere that has a straight 4-5 mile uphill that they can run up all day long.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Circuits of XXX meters multiplied by X repeats with x:xx break in time != running at a constant uphill for 4-5 miles at one time. Even the most in shape runners who normally incorporates track work and hills won't be able to hold their normal race pace for 4-5 miles of straight uphill of varying degrees.

If you do run inside, it's recommended to have at least a 1 incline on to more accurately mimic the uneven surface of the road, the various incline/declines, weather, etc.

I do plenty of hill repeats but you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere that has a straight 4-5 mile uphill that they can run up all day long.

LOL.... ok good, now I don't feel as bad anymore. When we 1st got the treadmill a year ago and I would run that hill profile, it would utterly destroy me, even @ slow speeds.

I think I'll do 1 mile out of 5 of the hill profile and the 1% the rest of the time. Thanks for the advice. :)

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
:) NP. I used to do my hill repeats on the treadmill. I'd do a mile warm-up, then do a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile at an incline, 1/4-1/2 mile flat but same speed, then increase my incline and speed on each subsequent repeat. IE, each interval was harder than the next. Not to say that's the best thing to do, but I don't sweat hills during races like a lot of people do.

Are you training for anything in particular?

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
:) NP. I used to do my hill repeats on the treadmill. I'd do a mile warm-up, then do a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile at an incline, 1/4-1/2 mile flat but same speed, then increase my incline and speed on each subsequent repeat. IE, each interval was harder than the next. Not to say that's the best thing to do, but I don't sweat hills during races like a lot of people do.

Are you training for anything in particular?

No I'm just trying to be in better shape. I'll probably eventually do charity runs or something. I really doubt I would stand a chance in any sort of competition. :biggrin:

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Don't have to be competitive or place in races...I mean you have to be pretty good. It's all about just getting better and seeing how much you improve over time. :) Good for you though!

Status
Not open for further replies.