Does anyone else ever run an old OS in a VM for nostalgia?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by 88keys, Dec 24, 2012.

1. 88keys

88keys Golden Member

For some reason, I just love running Win2K. At this point, it would be madness to run that OS outside a VM, but I just love the look of that generation of OSes.

I guess I just get tired of all of these prettied up GUIs.

2. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

I still run X11. Back in those days, 1987, long before KDE and GNOME, Linux was entirely CLI driven. Ahhh, good times!

[​IMG]

3. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Yea, but it gets old real quick and the VM gets deleted once you start noticing all of the shit that just doesn't work any longer.

That's TWM. X11 is an environment, protocol and a few other things but not a window manager. XFree86 (and now Xorg) just happens to include TWM as a sort of fallback/demo WM.

If you want to see a real WM that people used way back when take a look at CDE. If you want to see CLI driven Linux just hit ALT+F1 and log into the text console.

4. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

That sounded familiar to me, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. It was just open sourced this year. That's how I'd heard of it :^)

5. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

It's yet another great example of a standard creation attempt being botched by lack of openness and freedom. They eventually realized this and opened it up, but who really cares 20 years later?

6. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

I have Win2K, 98, and 3.11 VMs. Win2K runs faster in VM than host OS :D