Does anybody here surf? (not the net)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
OK....enough about sponging ;) Furthermore, arguing about sponging technique is crazy! If you are going to do it, use fins, 'nough said? :p And stop talking about surfing Pipe and the rest of Hawaii! I haven't been there so you are just makin' me weep as we are having a typical summer flat spell :( I won't be going back to Costa Rica until my son is a few years older either :frown: Come on hurricanes :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
So . . . did you go last weekend?

THIS weekend there IS a SW + Hurricane swell (and continued Hurricane Swell for early next week). It's a bit weak in San Diego (head-high is about it) but shows really well at those "South" breaks in Orange County . . .

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
Hehe...I actually just got back from the beach. I got caught in a little nasty rip tide that kept kicking my ass. When I finally got back to the beach, the lifeguard and my friend were giggling at me. :eek:

By the ways, Hermosa had some pretty good waves...and even better girls. :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The rip current is your best friend - IF you have a board. That's the "express" to the wave lineup. You are then supposed to catch a wave and ride it back to the shore. :D

So, what was it - stand up or body board?

I'm glad you had fun. :)

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
I didn't have time to get a board...it was body-surfing tdoay. Me and a friend are thinking about getting one for next weekend. Hopefully I won't go through the crap I went today...I was worried for a little bit. :D

By the ways, I know some Universities and Colleges that offer surfing classes. Are there any private places that will teach you...or is it better to just figure it out on my own?

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: LakerGod
Hehe...I actually just got back from the beach. I got caught in a little nasty rip tide that kept kicking my ass. When I finally got back to the beach, the lifeguard and my friend were giggling at me. :eek:

By the ways, Hermosa had some pretty good waves...and even better girls. :D

just want to point out, this is another good reason for fins if you're bodyboarding...besides being better capable of catching waves, they can save your ass and make life safer.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: LakerGod
I didn't have time to get a board...it was body-surfing tdoay. Me and a friend are thinking about getting one for next weekend. Hopefully I won't go through the crap I went today...I was worried for a little bit. :D

By the ways, I know some Universities and Colleges that offer surfing classes. Are there any private places that will teach you...or is it better to just figure it out on my own?

That depends on which sport you choose. Stand-up Surfing is easier with some instruction (depends if you skateboard, etc.). Body boarding is more intuitive . . . paddle in front of the wave and catch the crest to drop and turn appropriately. Both sports have instructive video and beginner books to more advanced surfing techniques.

It's not a bad thing you caught a little crap today. Sometime you may lose your board in a heavy situation and must be able to swim in despite strong rips and rogue waves. ;)