Does anybody have a service manual for a 2003 Chevrolet Venture?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Also, does anybody know what grade of engine oil the factory specifies for it? It needs an oil change and I figured I'd just do it myself (not my car, btw).

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
You might be able to look it up online -- PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.

Or, you might be able to find it online at oil manufacturers' sites.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Alright, 5W-30 it is. Should I replace the oil filter?
Always replace the oil filter when you change the oil. Be sure and use a good filter like Wix or Napa Gold (both made by the same company), Purolater, Mobil 1, etc. And it should tell you in the owner's manual what type of oil to use.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Also, does anybody know what grade of engine oil the factory specifies for it? It needs an oil change and I figured I'd just do it myself (not my car, btw).

From service manual

[/b]2003 Chevrolet Venture - 4WD[/b]

SAE 5W-30 is the only viscosity grade recommended for your vehicle.

Engine Oil and Oil Filter Change
Replace the engine oil and the engine oil filter.

For vehicles equipped with an oil cooler, refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement in Engine Mechanical.

Engine Oil Quality
Oils of the proper quality for the vehicle can be identified by looking for the STARBURST symbol. The STARBURST symbol indicates that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API), and is preferred for use in gasoline engines.

Engine Oil Viscosity

Notice: Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage. When choosing an oil, consider the range of temperatures the vehicle will be operated in before the next oil change. Then, select the recommended oil viscosity.

SAE 5W-30 is the only viscosity grade recommended for your vehicle.

Use only oils which have the API Starburst symbol and which are also identified as SAE 5W-30.

If the temperature range is 0°F (-18°C) or above SAE 10W-30 oil which has the API Starbust symbol is acceptable if SAE 5W 30 oils is not available. Areas where the temperature falls below -20°F (-29°C), it is recommended either an SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil or and SAE 0W-30 oil. Both will provide easier cold starting and better protection for the engine at extremely low temperatures. Do not use other viscosity grade oils, such as SAE 10W-40 or SAE 20W-50 under any conditions.

SAE 5W-30 is best for the vehicle. However, use 10W-30 if the outside air temperature is higher than -18°C (0°F). Do not use other viscosity oils, such as SAE 20W-50.

Engine Oil Filter ac delco
PF47

use interchange at your favorite parts store to get equivalent

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Except in special situations you always replace the filter when changing oil.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Alright, 5W-30 it is. Should I replace the oil filter?

oil and filter every time.

I change my oil, at least twice a year,
even on my snowplow beater truck, that gets about 3-4 miles a year on it.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
For the health of your vehicle please go read some sort of instruction sheet on how to change your oil. :) There are some little things you need to do that you don't know about. Such as coating the filter gasket with a thin film of oil before putting it on. And use jack stands if you have to jack your car up.