Does an i5 2500k run turbo mode at default vcore?

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
I just setup the system in my sig. When my ram iset to XMP the cpu runs at 3700 but core is bumped to 1 .32v

My cpu defaults vcore 1.25v @ 3.3.

I manually setup ram to XMP settings(turned off xmp).

I set cpu at 3.7gh on manual vcore of 1.25v.

So does turbo mode over-volt vcore?

I dont like the stock settings where the cpu underclocks. I prefer it not to have to ramp up speed.

Is i5 2500k basically guaranteed to run at 3700 at a default vcore?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
what? XMP memory profile has nothing to do with anything else on the Sandy Bridge platform.

and why would you want your cpu to run at 3.7 all the time? that just seems silly. with power saving features on your cpu will drop to 1.6 and drop the vcore really low. that saves power as 1.6 is more than enough to do basic tasks. it will ramp up immediately when needed. it will likely never go to just 3.3 though and will turbo to 3.4 for 4 cores, 3.5 for 3 cores, 3.6 for 2 cores or 3.7 if just 1 core is loaded. just let the cpu do its job.

now if you are looking to overclock because you need more cpu power then that is a different matter.

Last edited:

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
what? XMP memory profile has nothing to do with anything else on the Sandy Bridge platform.

and why would you want your cpu to run at 3.7 all the time? that just seems silly. with power saving features on your cpu will drop to 1.6 and drop the vcore really low. that saves power as 1.6 is more than enough to do basic tasks. it will ramp up immediately when needed. it will likely never go to 3.4 though and will turbo to 3.4 for 4 cores, 3.5 for 3 cores, 3.6 for 2 cores or 3.7 if just 1 core is loaded. just let the cpu do its job.

now if you are looking to overclock because you need more cpu power then then that is a different matter.

When i set the memory to XMP in the bios. I am offerred one profile which i enable. I changed no other settings from default. The cpu vcore was raised and the cpu speed was set to 3700.

I was reading that XMP profiles can alter cpu settings, but i could not find anything that confirmed what cpu settings were changed.

I hate that the cpu throttles. There are times it feels slower than my e6600@2.4ghz, which did not throttle.

Your advice is good, thx.

Crap Daddy

May 6, 2011
I highly doubt it feels slower than your former CPU. XMP has nothing to do with your CPu speed its a memory profile. How do you set the CPU for 3.7?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
When i set the memory to XMP in the bios. I am offerred one profile which i enable. I changed no other settings from default. The cpu vcore was raised and the cpu speed was set to 3700.

I was reading that XMP profiles can alter cpu settings, but i could not find anything that confirmed what cpu settings were changed.

I hate that the cpu throttles. There are times it feels slower than my e6600@2.4ghz, which did not throttle.

Your advice is good, thx.

Not sure what you wanna do? Run stock turbo speed? Overclock to ???

You got a good combo with alot of options in the uEFI that'll let you take full controll of your chip. You can change the idle speed to whatever you want without hardlocking your vcore and killing speedstep. Just need to know what you want. Gotta go to work but will give you a hand later today if you still need it.

I'm using your MB's older sister the P8P67 Pro(rev 3.0) which has the same settings in bios so I can point you in the correct direction if needed.

I'm running my 2700K at 4.8ghz with idle of 1.6ghz(1.02v) load 4.8ghz(1.35-1.37v) using zero LLC and offset voltages. Just got this chip yesterday morning but it's stable so far. Currently in the everday use form of stress testing. Random bsods are somewhat common with SB's and offset voltages.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
Not sure what you wanna do? Run stock turbo speed? Overclock to ???

You got a good combo with alot of options in the uEFI that'll let you take full controll of your chip. You can change the idle speed to whatever you want without hardlocking your vcore and killing speedstep. Just need to know what you want. Gotta go to work but will give you a hand later today if you still need it.

I'm using your MB's older sister the P8P67 Pro(rev 3.0) which has the same settings in bios so I can point you in the correct direction if needed.

I'm running my 2700K at 4.8ghz with idle of 1.6ghz(1.02v) load 4.8ghz(1.35-1.37v) using zero LLC and offset voltages. Just got this chip yesterday morning but it's stable so far. Currently in the everday use form of stress testing. Random bsods are somewhat common with SB's and offset voltages.
Thx.

My last build was 4yrs ago, so these new mobos are sweet. I had no idea you can keep speedstep and still overclock. Wow, so it overclocks only when needed but will have a cpu idle speed much lower?

All I know is on my mobo when I set XMP(i assumed it was a memory change only), I found in windows my cpu was running at 3.7ghz but vcore was at 1.32v.
I did nothing to the cpu settings just went to Ai overclock tab in mobo bios, set XMP and rebooted.

Anyway, I am back to stock setup on the cpu and manually set my ram to 9-9-9-24-2t at 1.5v.

FYI: my last build was a watercooled e6600@3.6 cpu and watercooled gpu. But I am not sure if I will re-watercool as the system is up and running since I wanted to test the ram after I started reading all kinds of issues with ripjaws x on the p8z68- v pro/gen3.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thx.

My last build was 4yrs ago, so these new mobos are sweet. I had no idea you can keep speedstep and still overclock. Wow, so it overclocks only when needed but will have a cpu idle speed much lower?

All I know is on my mobo when I set XMP(i assumed it was a memory change only), I found in windows my cpu was running at 3.7ghz but vcore was at 1.32v.
I did nothing to the cpu settings just went to Ai overclock tab in mobo bios, set XMP and rebooted.

Anyway, I am back to stock setup on the cpu and manually set my ram to 9-9-9-24-2t at 1.5v.

FYI: my last build was a watercooled e6600@3.6 cpu and watercooled gpu. But I am not sure if I will re-watercool as the system is up and running since I wanted to test the ram after I started reading all kinds of issues with ripjaws x on the p8z68- v pro/gen3.

LMK if.you need a nudge in the right direction. Depending on your goal there isn't much to change.

Good luck on your adventure :)

I'm thinking about trying a 5.2ghz test boot tonight just to see if possible :)

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
LMK if.you need a nudge in the right direction. Depending on your goal there isn't much to change.

Good luck on your adventure :)

I'm thinking about trying a 5.2ghz test boot tonight just to see if possible :)

How do you set an overclock but still keep speedstep active.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
How do you set an overclock but still keep speedstep active.

You said you went back to stock settings so your chip should be throttling down to 1.6ghz and low vcore 0.9?? correct?

You only need to change a couple of things in bios to overclock.

Ai Tweaker Page change the following for an example 4.2ghz overclock

Ai overclock tuner > manual
Turbo Ratio > By Per Core cannot adjust in OS is what I use
1 core ratio limit > 42 <-- Quick take a . between the numbers = ghz
2 core ratio limit > 42
3 core ratio limit > 42
4 core ratio limit > 42
Internal PLL overvoltage > disable (may be needed at higher clocks 4.5ghz or more)
Memory frequency > set to spec of your ram
Load-Line Calibration > regular (gets me stable lower vcore) might need to enable more at higher clocks
Dram timing controll > look to see if it set your ram up (change to spec if needed) My mem is 2T but no problem running 1T < Dram Command Mode
CPU voltage > offset mode
Offset Sign > +
Offset Value > 0.005 (May require more)

That's about it for now. Just save setting and reboot and see what happens. I'd think it'll load windows no problem at all.

Look for the sticky at the top of the forum Overclocking CPU/GPU/Memory Stability Testing Guidelines and do some stress testing for stability.

Make sure you monitor your temps and voltages while testing. If by some chance you bsod during bootup or stress testing you'll need to go back into the bios and up the voltage offset a tic or two.

LMK if you need any more info/help

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
You said you went back to stock settings so your chip should be throttling down to 1.6ghz and low vcore 0.9?? correct?

You only need to change a couple of things in bios to overclock.

Ai Tweaker Page change the following for an example 4.2ghz overclock

Ai overclock tuner > manual
Turbo Ratio > By Per Core cannot adjust in OS is what I use
1 core ratio limit > 42 <-- Quick take a . between the numbers = ghz
2 core ratio limit > 42
3 core ratio limit > 42
4 core ratio limit > 42
Internal PLL overvoltage > disable (may be needed at higher clocks 4.5ghz or more)
Memory frequency > set to spec of your ram
Load-Line Calibration > regular (gets me stable lower vcore) might need to enable more at higher clocks
Dram timing controll > look to see if it set your ram up (change to spec if needed) My mem is 2T but no problem running 1T < Dram Command Mode
CPU voltage > offset mode
Offset Sign > +
Offset Value > 0.005 (May require more)

That's about it for now. Just save setting and reboot and see what happens. I'd think it'll load windows no problem at all.

Look for the sticky at the top of the forum Overclocking CPU/GPU/Memory Stability Testing Guidelines and do some stress testing for stability.

Make sure you monitor your temps and voltages while testing. If by some chance you bsod during bootup or stress testing you'll need to go back into the bios and up the voltage offset a tic or two.

LMK if you need any more info/help
Thx. There are alot more settings to tinker with.
Yes i throttle to 1.6ghz with vcore around .98- 1.1v.

I will o/c a bit. 3.7-4ghz sounds nice. I would think the SB chips should easily do 20% o/c at low vcore.

Your help has been excellent. Quick follow-up from another thread you posted in of mine. I changed power options to disable hibernation but low and behold, i still had a 13gb file. I used your instructions and deleted it.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Your help has been excellent. Quick follow-up from another thread you posted in of mine. I changed power options to disable hibernation but low and behold, i still had a 13gb file. I used your instructions and deleted it.

Do you have a link to that thread? ...or was it PM?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you have a link to that thread? ...or was it PM?

Here ya go. After you disable it reboot.

Once you disable hibernation you need to search for the Hiberfil.sys and delete it if found.

The Hiberfil.sys hidden system file is located in the root folder of the drive where the operating system is installed.

To make hibernation unavailable, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
  5. Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.
To make hibernation available, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press ENTER.
  5. Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.