does Amd_dc_opt dot exe come in preinstalled?

Discussion in 'Security' started by NiceCold, Jan 6, 2013.

1. NiceCold

NiceCold Senior member

does Amd_dc_opt dot exe come in preinstalled?

i found this exe in ccleaner startup. i dont recognize and i dont believe i download it.

just trying to figure out what cause my computer to lock up. it might be this exe but i need more info.

http://www.file.net/process/amd_dc_opt.exe.html

if it came preinstalle dthen its clean. if its not then might be virus in disguise? if its legit... is this thing important?

2. unokitty

unokitty Diamond Member

This site reports that there is a legitimate AMD utility by that name. It also gives an MD5 hash for that file. Don't know how much to trust that site. Personally, I would feel more comfortable if that information came directly from AMD.

This forum is reporting that certain games install that file without telling you.

Didn't find any reports of that file being used as malware. Though, like any executable file the potential exists.

If it were me, I'd probably check the MD5 hash of the file that I found on my computer to see if it matches the one in the first link above.

If I had any concerns about the specific file, I would, most likely, get rid of it.

Best of luck,
    Uno

3. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

are you running WinXP?

that looks like AMD Dual Core Optimizer. It works with WinXP to allow the cpu to function properly with multi-threaded apps. I normally install it if I am using an AM2 cpu. I don't think its necessary for AM3 cpus.

4. rasczak

rasczak Lifer

^ Pretty much this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/amd_dc_opt-16699.html

5. NiceCold

NiceCold Senior member

x2 4400+ thats AM3 right?

ever since i found out about this file ive been disabling it froms tartup automatically via ccleaner just to be safe and it doesnt act strangely at all. anyway good to see few source that say it is legit.

6. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

no, that's an AM2. I believe that would be 2.31 ghz.

and cpu-z would give you more details.