Does AMD have an equivalent ULMB option?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Thread title.
Can I get an equivalent experience with AMD as I can with Nvidia with their ULMB monitors that use Lightboost?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Yes it's just a panel tech. Look for "Blur Reduction". Not all GSync monitors include ULMB fyi

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Yes it's just a panel tech. Look for "Blur Reduction". Not all GSync monitors include ULMB fyi
Hmm.... was thinking of going the GTX 1070/ Gsync monitor with Lightboost. But now.... probably just going to go the AMD equivalent if I can find some good monitor options.

So something like this?
BenQ XL2730Z

AMD is terrible at helping advertise this stuff. Hmmm.... That + Vega + Coffeelake sounds like a great build.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
AMD per se doesn't have an equivalent but some gaming monitors have "blur reduction" feature that does exactly what ULMB does and works with AMD and NV gpus. Benq gaming monitors 120hz+ usually have this. I own one. it's awesome if you tweak it.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
That's the monitor I have. It supports backlight strobing at 120Hz or 144hz. It calls it "Blur Reduction".

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
AMD is terrible at helping advertise this stuff.
Call me cynical (or paranoid), I also think display companies are trying to avoid upsetting nVidia as they are currently the GPU market leader by a significant margin.

My UWQHD monitor for example runs Adaptive-Sync 48-100Hz. So whilst it has the gaming abilities comparable to a high end Gsync monitor, nowhere in the advertising material is FreeSync listed (and I'm pretty sure it's been validated by AMD [even if not my point still stands]). Also there's no mention of the 100Hz refresh rate on the extensive marketing front page, which would be a pretty huge selling point in normal situations. There is only a numbered dot point, in small font, literally at the very bottom of the specifications section saying "3)Adaptive Sync support range from 48Hz-100Hz"; The first and last time it mentions either 100Hz or Adaptive Sync.

I'm happy to wear a tinfoil hat whether right or wrong, but I honestly can't see another reason why a company would downplay such features; especially when these features are most important to gaming buyers (the same market nV is after).

Last edited: