Does a quiet case that has good air flow for OCing exist?

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by zero koopa, Nov 14, 2012.

1. zero koopa

zero koopa Member

Does a quiet case that has good air flow for OCing exist?

I am looking for a full tower atx and have been interseted in the Antec Df-85 and the Cooler Master HAF X but am wondering if these are going to sound like a jet taking off. Are there quieter cases that can hold at least 2 HDD 1 or 2 SSD, DVD combo, fan controller, possible fan controller and flash reader?

2. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

What's your budget?

3. Zap

Zap Elite Member

What CPU and what clock speeds are you targeting? GPU?

For the most part you don't need a wind tunnel case to hit decent clock speeds on socket 1155.

4. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

Rosewill Thor V2 - three 230mm fans hooked into an integrated fan controller.

5. Bryf50

Bryf50 Golden Member

I recommend Fractal Designs for fairly inexpensive cases built with quietness in mind.

I have a Define XL and the very heavy noise absorbent side panels seem to help a lot. There's also the Define R4 for a smaller version.

6. BD231

BD231 Diamond Member

Higher end InWin cases are SUPER quiet with a ton of airflow.

7. zero koopa

zero koopa Member

Under $200

I was planning on getting a 1155 z77 asus pro or deluxe (possible sli) with an intel i7 3770k. I want to try to hit 4.2 - 4.4 on air noctua nh-ch14 + case fans.

8. tulx

tulx Senior member

Use the Silverstoe Raven 2 (around 180 USD) or Fortress 2 (around 250 USD). I currently use the Fortress 2 for my PC and am OCig a 960t X6 from 3 to 4 GHz. Cooling with a Noctua NH-D.

9. zero koopa

zero koopa Member

I like the look of that one but just the fact that I am paying over 200 and they dont include usb 3.0 on the front pannel doenst add up.

I am just concerned that if I choose a more silent case that it will be too hot and not able to OC well.

What if I were to say that I am going to go with the following:

i7 3770K OC'd to 4.2 on Noctua NH-c14
    ASUS P8Z77 Deluxe
    GTX 670 4 GB SLI
    ASUS Xonar STX
    16GB 1600

Will an Antec 1100 work to cool all of that? Do I have enough room for everything? Will I be able to plug the fans into the mobo to use ASUS's fan xpert 2?

10. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Good solid reviews on the Fractal Arc Midi. It really sweetens the song since it's now $56 at Amazon.

11. fralexandr

fralexandr Golden Member

THOR V2
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4648/rosewill-thor-v2-the-god-of-cooling-and-silence
    it'd be nice if anandtech included the thor v2 against the antec 1100 (the 1100 is shown to top the charts in performance for all of their recent case reviews). I think they changed their testing methodology too, so the numbers don't compare.

the thor v2 is a nice case, it's quiet, has a lot of cabling holes, and is cheap to boot (~$100)
    the rubber grommets for cabling liked to fall out while I was assembling though
    I think the thor v2 white looks ok too, but it's almost always more expensive

the fan speed is easily adjustable by the analog fan speed knobs on the front
    i think it's only logical to attach intake fans to 1 knob and exhaust to the other, so you can decide on whether you want your case to be positive or negative pressure

poorish quality cell phone pics to show the cabling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#12 fralexandr, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  12. zero koopa

zero koopa Member

I like the ideas of full towers but I have always had a mid tower. Full towers just seem way way to big. That being said, I did like the NZXT Phantom 820 and started to take a look at the Phantom 410. I am hoping that someone has the 820 on sale this weekend. Still not too sure about them.

13. Mfusick

Mfusick Senior member

Cosmos II ?

It's superior at everything.

14. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

Please, no trolling. Cosmos II is ridiculously huge and way over his budget.

15. Cebu

Cebu Member

Any of the HAF cases with 200mm fans on the front and the top are whisper quiet if the fans speeds are set right in the BIOS.

16. Mfusick

Mfusick Senior member

But it answered his thread question in the title.

17. AustinInDallas

AustinInDallas Golden Member

New ft02 has USB 3.0

18. Ed1

Ed1 Senior member

No body mentioned Corsair cases , I use 500R with good results , its on large size for mid tower . it has built in fan controller (low, med, high) even on high its not bad , med is very quiet .

19. Pia

Pia Golden Member

I think OP's goals sound low enough that most decent cases can offer the requisite airflow, the only questions are what is quiet and what kind of styling OP prefers.

At lower budget I'd opt for the Fractal Designs cases. Clean looks, quiet, good reviews, what's not to like?

If the budget can stretch that far, I'd get the Silverstone FT02. Spectacular design, form and function. The only thing I wonder about it is why hasn't everyone else making serious towers copied FT02 already.

20. Agent11

Agent11 Diamond Member

unless you are after super quiet with noise dampening materials and what not, anything with room for large slow moving fans will work.

Check out the inwin GRone.