Does a laptop power brick provide some surge protection?

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
We have had some electrical quality issues ever since a major power outage last week. My UPS that my tower PC is connected to has gone nuts, reporting many very brief overvoltages all day long, and a 30 minute session of reporting 134 volts, confirmed by my DMM . Not good. The power company says they are working on it.

Since my laptop power brick has input specs of 110V-240V, does it provide some protection against power surges? I'm not talking about lightning. I'm thinking I would rather have my laptop power brick plugged into my UPS and use my laptop until they resolve this issue.

Thanks

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
If it were me I wouldnt worry needing an UPS as the power brick transforms down the voltage, so any over voltage should be significantly down scaled. (Notebooks can also seem to put up significantly better with power fluctuations particularly when the battery is present. A guess is that it is because of the regulator circuitry built in to support the different power sources.) An exception would be if there were frequent fast total power shut offs and power then quickly back on again. The issue then might be line inductance (ie, collapsing electrical field) resulting in high voltage spike production (had that happen to me once).

If you've got an extra UPS receptacle, then by all means use it if it is not too inconvenient.