Does a GeForce256 DDR need Active Cooling?

IdBuRnS

Jun 26, 2001
The fan on my dad's GeForce256 DDR has gone bad. I removed the fan from the heatsink so the card has passive cooling. Is this sufficient? The model is a Creative Labs.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Those things run hot as hell(much hotter than my voodoo 3's did) I wouldnt run it without a fan.....

IdBuRnS

Jun 26, 2001
Oh well, it had been running fine for about 30 minutes when I left my dad's. It's really no big deal if the card dies, he's looking for a new one anyway.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
You might be okay for a few days, as long as he won't be doing anything very graphics intensive or leaving the system running for long periods of time.
I'd get a new fan ASAP though, if you expect to continue using it much longer.
The GF DDR was for the time a record breaker in terms of heat dissipation in a consumer level graphics card.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
much hotter than my voodoo 3's did)

Even hotter than the 3000pci? I dont think so that thing nearly burnt my fingers, I never had a problem with heat from my creative DDR, power supply yes.

IdBuRnS

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: JeremiahTheGreat
well, as long as it doesn't take the comp wif it ...

How possible is that? I don't see how it could take the rest of the computer with it...

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
One of my friends had a fan go on his GF256DDR

After a couple of days, he started to get lines go across the screen, and any black/dark colours would streak across the whole display, made reading text really bad. If you've ever seen ghosting on a TV with black text on white background, or vice-versa...take that image, and stretch it across the whole screen.

It got REALLY, so much more horrible to read after about a week!

Confused

ShowdOWN

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002
i dont recommend using that card without a fan.

the fan on my geforce 2 died during windows installation. and needless to say the card died also. i dont think it was running for more then 20 min.