Does a gaming laptop like this exist?

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
Requirements:

- Gaming laptop (discreet gfx)
- Gloss screen (no matte/'antiglare', preferably IPS)
- non-chiclet keyboard (if I wanted a mac, I'd buy one)
- Not hideous (sager/clevo = no thanks, I like some style!)
- Size isn't so important (13-17")

I've had no luck finding gaming (or otherwise) laptop with all of the above. I've had the same Dell XPS M1730 for 6 years that the mobo finally died on, and I'm in the market for a new gaming laptop (I'm rarely in the same country for too long at one time, much less the same address!). It seems to me every laptop has copied apple and introduced a chiclet keyboard, and I'd rather pull my arm hairs out than type on a chiclet keyboard. Add that to the fact that I think matte screens look like crap, and I seem to have 'featured' myself right out of the current laptop market. The Razer's were so close (even close enough to overlook the chiclet keyboards) but their screens suck! Argh!

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any recommendations.

Last edited:

Hero1711

Aug 25, 2013
Alienware? The current line with Haswell looks pretty stylish.

Last edited:

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
I'd go for one if they didn't have matte screens, I've seen one in person and am not a fan of the screen. Same goes for cyberpower/ibuypower/MSI/Asus - all ugly matte screens. :\ Thanks tho! :)

Last edited:

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
Yep and all they had to do was offer a glossy option for me to buy, because it is an IPS panel... :\

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Just wondering what you'd want a glossy screen for? to stare at your own reflection?

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
I don't know what's happened to screens on laptops today, but my M1730 has a gorgeous display with 160 degree viewing angles that's glossy. I haven't found a laptop to date (except the retina display, which is better) that looks anywhere near as good - and this thing is 6 years old. Matte displays look like absolute crap in comparison - *any* matte display I've seen, and I've been shopping for months now. I might have to build myself a micro-itx system instead, I can't find anything that's worth spending money on it the laptop world, even with money being no object.

Deders, I rarely look at a display when it's off, so no, no reflection. I guess you haven't used a glossy display before: when they're on, they look amazing, it's only when they're off that you can see reflections, etc. They are brighter and text, etc is crisper because they don't have the light refracting coating that makes a matte screen matte.

Last edited:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Yes I have, It's particularly bad when the sun is shining onto it. My LG has a matte finish and my conclusion at the time of buying it was that although glossy looks shinier, I'd have less trouble with a decent monitor that had a matte finish. It also has a very wide (170 degree) viewing angle and colours that approach IPS, which at the time cost 5 times as much.

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
Well your usage differs than mine - I live tropical locations on coasts typically, and the sun is too intense for working in!

Anyway, this isn't a discussion about the merits of a particular feature, just my search for a laptop with this particular feature list.

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
Found the dragon edition 2 can be customized with glossy screen on xoticpc...hmmm

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
Isn't almost everything these days a chiclet keyboard? That and the search for an IPS screen limits you quite a bit.

MDX

Sep 4, 2013
Yes, seems that way (thanks apple). Doesn't have to be IPS, but damn, I want a screen as good as my 6 year old machine at least, and even that seems to be a tall order!

kogunniyi

Nov 17, 2012
The Alienware 18 has a "semi-glossy" PLS screen with decent color reproduction and contrast, and you can configure the 17 with a 120Hz glossy TN screen.