Question Does a damaged Anti static bag still work?

Jayn23

Dec 6, 2022
I recived today a motherboard purchased from amazon, box was not sealed, motherbaord was in a a static bag that seemed sealed, around the RAM slot its torn (probably got stuck on ram slot pointy edge and tore.) the tear is not very bad but still if its torn i am assuming it becomes in effective.
this is my first new motheboard in 6 years, and now i am hesitant if i should continue with new build, or contact amazon about a replacment.

any help would be appreciated

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Things aren't as sensitive as they were in the past. Try it and you should be fine. Now, if you bought it as NEW and got used them I would send it back since it should be sealed or discounted as used.

Reactions: Jayn23

Jayn23

Dec 6, 2022
Lol,

Thanks for the answers, i did buy it new but at i great price on a black Friday deal, ill keep the board and hope i dont encounter any issues.
FYI
I contacted amazon and they assured me that if i encounter any issues even post build i can still replace the board ...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I would carefully inspect the board, not concerned about anti-static issues but rather, whether the impact that caused the tear, damaged the board, or if there is any corrosion. Note that there may be a slight solder flux residue normal in the manufacturing process, that is not corrosion itself, though at the same time if you were to get it wet, flux is then a corrosive acid by design, especially as the solution dries and becomes a more concentrated pool. I digress.

The bag itself is still effective. What it does is causes a high resistance path so a low ESD magnitude through the board to something closer to earth ground potential. It also seals the board from contamination on the boat ride over, as sea air or potentially sitting months near a dock due to covid is less than ideal.

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
Anti-static bag is basically a faraday cage. A small tear is probably OK. Not because it is OK by design, but because the likelihood that the board encountered high voltage static discharge near the tear is unlikely. Do what others suggested, inspect for physical damage, if none found try it and most likely it will be OK. If not, then return like any other broken item from Amazon. Take a look near CPU socket, if you see smudges of cpu thermal compound then you probably got a return item, which is not right.