does 120Hz really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by Matt915, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Matt915

Matt915 Banned

I'm thinking of getting this TV for my living room. I'd be about 6-8' away from it when watching, and I'd be using it mostly for watching sports. It's only 60hz though so I hesitate...does it really make a difference?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - 120Hz make difference Forum Date
    are there 4k 120hz projectors? Audio/Video & Home Theater Today at 9:39 AM
    Do they make large (over 70-inch) 4K HDR TVs that aren't "smart?" (no network features) Audio/Video & Home Theater Apr 22, 2017
    4k tv: 55"+, HDR, hdmi 2.0a, 120hz. xbr55x850c vs un55ju7100 Audio/Video & Home Theater Nov 28, 2015
    Does 60/120hz matter for a 42" LED HDTV? Audio/Video & Home Theater Dec 18, 2013
    Hack to use that 120hz LCD TV (including Plasmas) with your PC. Audio/Video & Home Theater Oct 27, 2013

3. ProfJohn

ProfJohn Lifer

Go some place like BestBuy or Walmart and look at different TVs and find a 60hz and a 120 and a 240 and see what happens.

BTW if budget is an issue then why not a Vizio? I think they are the best tv you can get for the money. But do your homework before taking my word.

4. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

i have a sony xbr 120hz "motion flow". No, makes no difference that i can really see. i tried watching racing, switching between on/off and i didn't really notice anything.
    same with gaming. i think it was yet another marketing thing. maybe a real 120hz tv would be better?

how about a plasma? should be found for cheaper. i got a 42" LG Plasma for my bedroom cheaper than that tv.

5. ProfJohn

ProfJohn Lifer

You are only turning 'motion flow' and and off. The 120 part stayed on all the time.

I think you have to really be watching the right thing to notice the difference.

Watching Nascar might show you the difference or a Hockey game etc etc.

Watching Animal Planet though...

6. Matt915

Matt915 Banned

I hadn't thought of a plasma......

Budget is definitely an issue. Is Vizio reputable? I honestly have never had an appliance from them before. Had a ton of Toshiba TVs and they've all been good, that's why I was looking at that model

7. ProfJohn

ProfJohn Lifer

Look at the reviews of Vizio. They are some of the best reviewed TVs on the market.

Go to book store and find a consumer reports buying guide and look through it etc etc.

Or just google till you go crazy :)

8. Matt915

Matt915 Banned

yeah, i just checked my consumerreports subscription....for some reason I thought they were an off brand...guess not.

9. Matt915

Matt915 Banned

I'm thinking of getting this Vizio E420VO, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for sales

10. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

For the money I'd much rather get a 720p plasma if you can fit a 42" in the space. A Panasonic or Samsung can be had for as low as $399 with a normal price in the $450 to $500 range. I still prefer plasma panels to LCD and they don't suffer from the judder that even 120hz LCD's still have in some sweeping scenes.

11. smitbret

smitbret Diamond Member

No. Pixel refresh rate will make more of a difference. The 120/240 thing is more overhyped than 1080p. The only REAL use for it is playing back 24hz so that the tv doesn't have to use 3:2 pulldown on Blu-Ray DVDs.

If you'll be watching tv in an environment where you can control reflections, get a plasma. You'll be glad you did.

12. kornphlake

kornphlake Golden Member

I've got the Toshiba in the OP, no complaints. I spent quite a bit of time in the store trying to see a difference between the 60hz and 120hz sets side by side and couldn't spot any difference, the only difference I may have seen was in my peripheral vision and disappeared as soon as I tried to focus on it. I'm really not too much of a videophile, I don't watch sports and I don't play video games and I don't care about 3d, my opinion is worth what you paid.