Dodge Stealth Turbo vs. Volkswagen GTI

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
This is the story:
Was driving my '91 GTI today.. (8 valve, stock everything, engine to tires to shift knob. ~100 hp, ~100 lb-ft)

Got to a stop light, there was a Dodge Stealth Turbo behind me. When the light went green, he was accelerating hard, very close behind me, so I moved to the slow lane.

Then comes a left hand turn. I was on the outside lane, he was on the inside lane. I passed him on the corner, from the outer lane.. My exit speed was about 40 mph.

After that corner is another red light. He took a glimpse on my car, and he looked back. ;)

After the red light, he makes a left...

Heh heh heh...

Fahrvergnugen.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Sorry, not gonna happen. Stealth should have kicked your ass (maybe not handling, since they're heavy, but for sheer acceleration he could have wiped the floor with your GTI). Either he's incompetent or he wasn't really trying.

Viper GTS

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I know a lot of people is going to be skeptic about this.

I didn't beat him on the straight.

And I know he was trying to go fast since he was accelerating hard just before the corner.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I believe it. I drive a '92 Jetta GL and pass a lot of faster cars through the turns which is where my advantage lies. If he had said he beat the guy in the straight I would have called him a liar.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
What a sucky driver! Either he didn't wanna push his car hard or he's just an idiot...

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i do feel a little unsure on going fast on turns though, i think viper is accurate in his statement about stealths.

im going to be taking some pictures of me and my stealth pretty soon, as soon as it stops raining :|:|:|

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Maybe he worked to the left, or his house was to the left, or there was a store/restaurant to the left. He probably didn't turn left just to avoid a race...

Oct 9, 1999
One of my cars is a 94 Toyota Tercel with 93 HP, and a stick shift with a skull as the shifter head. Anycase, I have gone head to head against other cars around curves, my car holds a lot better to a certain extent. However even on a straight way it got more than enough power to make the first 40 MPh. Presently I have de-tuned the engine to allow me not to spin my front wheels on take off, however if I put it back to normal tuning it will do 0-60 in about 9 sec's.

Not bad for a 1.5 Liter 93HP engine. The torque on the first gear is a lot and even on 4th (top gear) it has enough HP to pull, infact enough to have another gear.

Nessoldaccount

Jun 4, 2000
This is called a "ricer flyby" when you brag about beating someone who wasn't even trying to race you.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< This is called a &quot;ricer flyby&quot; when you brag about beating someone who wasn't even trying to race you. >>

geez,
I'm not saying I raced him or anything. I was just saying, this guy was accelerating hard and driving pretty fast. Obviously he was trying to take the corner without much slowdown either.

I'm just saying I managed to pass him on the corner.

Think about it.

This guy was accelerating really hard, really close behind me. No, no he was behind me not because I was faster at the start. He was behind me because I was blocking his path. Obviously he's in a rush right?? If he's in a rush, he would try to take the corner fast too, right?? And I just beat him in the corner. Nothing else. No, I didn't smoke a Turbo Stealth with ~300 hp.

Did I sound like I was bragging??

When I looked at him at the stop light at the corner, he looks embarrased, thus he looked at the other direction. I think this why he turned left on the next intersection.

My car's stock suspension is actually quite good. A lot of people autocrosses GTI.

Here's is another story:
A friend of mine who drives an M3 (The best handling car, beating F355, as voted by Car &amp; Driver), got slower times from a Girl, driving a Saturn, in a local Autocross event. Not to mention this M3 has lowered suspension and racing shocks, etc etc. No, the M3 is not a bad car. It's the problem with the driver.

A SATURN beating an M3?? Another Ricer FLYBY??

and did you read that my car is completely STOCK. NOT even a SHIFT KNOB!! So don't start saying rice and all that crap.

ThundercatHO

Oct 15, 2000
i don't know if you've ever driven a stealth but they handle better than any VW i've ever driven, that guy just couldn't drive

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Lupin

OK unless that saturn was _heavily_ bloody modified or your friend ran out of gas when turning on the engine there is NO excuse for what he did - do us a favor and take his car from him :p

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
abracadabra1

The non-turbo Stealths are pretty slow. The turbos can kick some serious @ss though.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Actually guys, the claim was never that the GTI beat the Stealth in a straight. No one would ever believe that.

The GTI was faster through corners, and quite honestly may be off the light for the first 3 seconds too because of it's extremely light weight.

A bone stock GTI can easily take a cloverleaf interstate exit at 50 MPH and never squeak a tire. If any Stealth tried that, he'd be in the guard rail.

Actually yakko, you and I know a certain turbo charged Rabbit pick up that might take that Stealth on in a straight away. Right? ;)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
it's cool KidViciou$

We can hook you up with some twin Hair Dryers that'll give you more boost then the stock ones anyhow :)

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
yakko,

What if we ran the hairdriers through an innercooler???