Dodge Challenger SRT8 pricing announced

dieselstation

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
Dodge Challenger SRT8 available for $37,995

* The American muscle coupe is back, packed with modern technology and innovation
* Demand for contemporary version of iconic pony car drives Dodge to accept orders for the 2008 Challenger SRT8® beginning Dec. 3, 2007
* Introduction begins with limited-edition Dodge Challenger SRT8 models ? each with numbered dash plaque
* Complete, broader Challenger lineup details and pricing still to come
* 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 models feature 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 and are available in Black, Silver or HEMI Orange

read entire press release at: http://www.speed-driven.com/la...pricing-announced.html

kind of disappointing. was hoping the pricing would be near or a bit higher then the Mustang GT. This is way too much.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dieselstation

* The American muscle coupe is back, packed with modern technology and innovation
* Demand for contemporary version of iconic pony car drives Dodge to accept orders for the 2008 Challenger SRT8® beginning Dec. 3, 2007
* Introduction begins with limited-edition Dodge Challenger SRT8 models ? each with numbered dash plaque
* 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 models feature 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 and are available in Black, Silver or HEMI Orange

read entire press release at: http://www.speed-driven.com/la...pricing-announced.html

kind of disappointing. was hoping the pricing would be near or a bit higher then the Mustang GT. This is way too much.

Why would you expect this to be on par with the Mustang GT? The Challenger RT will be on par with the Mustang GT, the SRT is more GT500 range. Rumor is that the SRT8 will have 500+HP.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: dieselstation

I'm sure you'll be able to get a V6 powered Challenger for low 20s.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
The Challenger is what the Charger should have been. 2 door muscle car. Nice. Don't think I'll be affording the SRT8 version though. Maybe if I'm lucky a used RT with the hemi down the road.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
The Challenger is what the Charger should have been. 2 door muscle car. Nice. Don't think I'll be affording the SRT8 version though. Maybe if I'm lucky a used RT with the hemi down the road.

Agreed. The Charger looks like ass. At least Chrysler didn't stick that ugly grill they have on every other car on the Challenger.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
It definitely wouldn't be priced against the Mustang GT - rather the GT500.

IMO their biggest mistake was planning to offer a V6 version. They've already got a V6 Charger. The Challenger should have been a V8-only offering - sure with an RT and SRT8, but no friggin' V6.

And you know dealers are going to markup the hell out of that $37K MSRP.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak

IMO their biggest mistake was planning to offer a V6 version. They've already got a V6 Charger. The Challenger should have been a V8-only offering - sure with an RT and SRT8, but no friggin' V6.

The V6 will probably be their biggest seller.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

yep. however, i don't see *too* many chargers. lots of 300's though.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Way too high price. Muscle car fans are going to be buying used and pristine and pampered '03/04 Cobras, LS2 GTOs, etc for $25,000 or less that could smoke this 4,200 lb overpriced pig.

Any jackass can build a fast high performance vehicle and sell it for half a million dollars. The muscle car formula was all about bringing value with that performance so the average Joe could actually drive a car like that, not drool over it in a magazine. And cars like this and the GT500 completely miss that formula entirely.

All in all this is an "investors only" car made to cater to the same market as the GT500. You'll never see them on the road, or at a dealer because they will be bought up in lots by investors where they will patiently sit on Ebay for 4x this price for the next 10 years with "limited edition" plastered all over the ad.

I predict the supply of this car to be locked up and hoarded by the elite; the investors and collectors of the Jay Leno variety. And the only way you'll get one is to show up to Barrett Jackson with $100,000+ in your pocket.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: K3N
too bad the handling is probably gonna be like squash!

Is that an assumption because you assume it uses a 1970s drive train because it doesn't say BMW on it or because of actual performance?

If you want handling go buy a Miata and have fun in rush hour traffic cornering to the limits and pulling extreme Gs in the left turn lane at 15 mph for the 3 seconds you'll be turning. So exhilirating. :roll:

Leave these cars to the men who can handle them.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

wouldn't be surprised if there were two V6s, the 2.7 and the 3.5 (as SXT).

the problem with chrysler's big cars is that while the SRT8 and the RT versions look good, there are lots of 300s out there with plastic hub caps, no bling, and the 2.7 engine.

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003
I thought Chrysler was dropping the Dodge badge for all the car models. I read somewhere that Dodge would be all the trucks, Chrysler would be all the cars, and Jeep would be the SUVs ( including the street only, decidedly non-offroadable SUVs). This might only be a rumor, but I know I read it somewhere online.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Nyati13
I thought Chrysler was dropping the Dodge badge for all the car models. I read somewhere that Dodge would be all the trucks, Chrysler would be all the cars, and Jeep would be the SUVs ( including the street only, decidedly non-offroadable SUVs). This might only be a rumor, but I know I read it somewhere online.

that's future plans - i read it on autoblog, not sure where you visit though :). IMO, it's not a bad idea, but some vehicles (viper) would need to remain dodge i think.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: exdeath
Way too high price. Muscle car fans are going to be buying used and pristine and pampered '03/04 Cobras, LS2 GTOs, etc for $25,000 or less that could smoke this 4,200 lb overpriced pig.

Any jackass can build a fast high performance vehicle and sell it for half a million dollars. The muscle car formula was all about bringing value with that performance so the average Joe could actually drive a car like that, not drool over it in a magazine. And cars like this and the GT500 completely miss that formula entirely.

All in all this is an "investors only" car made to cater to the same market as the GT500. You'll never see them on the road, or at a dealer because they will be bought up in lots by investors where they will patiently sit on Ebay for 4x this price for the next 10 years with "limited edition" plastered all over the ad.

I predict the supply of this car to be locked up and hoarded by the elite; the investors and collectors of the Jay Leno variety. And the only way you'll get one is to show up to Barrett Jackson with $100,000+ in your pocket.

I dont understand why you think it's too high. There will be the 5.7L in the mid- to upper-$20s and then this, just like the other LX cars.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I can't wait to sit in it at the Chicago show...I sat in the pre-production version already, but it'll be nice to see the final one.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I can't wait to see it on the road. I'm assuming this will be excluded from their lifetime powertrain warranty.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

I dont understand why you think it's too high. There will be the 5.7L in the mid- to upper-$20s and then this, just like the other LX cars.

He does not seem to understand the word "new"

With the above theory, you could get a fox body and spend 10k and smoke anything on the road.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004

No shit. Of course it will sell. But it doesn't do anything for the Challenger brand or Dodge's brand as a whole by having the cookie cutter V6 which soccer moms and 50-year-old vimpy-men will purchase in droves.

You'll have some dumb blonde roll up in her base model V6 and tell the guy next to her in a $40K SRT8 that they drive the same car.

I won't ever have that problem.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004

Is that an assumption because you assume it uses a 1970s drive train because it doesn't say BMW on it or because of actual performance?

If you want handling go buy a Miata and have fun in rush hour traffic cornering to the limits and pulling extreme Gs in the left turn lane at 15 mph for the 3 seconds you'll be turning. So exhilirating. :roll:

What crawled up your ass and died?

Frankly, it will handle like ass in any direction but straight. Unless you have a suspension AND chassis designed from the ground up to handle over 2 tons AND lots of tire at each corner, this thing will snow plow like crazy. Example: The Bugatti Veyron has a curb weight of 4162 lb and can pull 1.3g (reportedly...) on the skidpad.

That doesn't mean you can't upgrade the suspension with aftermarket parts and get a car that handles a lot better than stock and is a blast to drive through the curves. But reality is that it's fundamental design and overweight nature will prevent it from being a true corner carver.

I know
|
|
|
V

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Naustica
I can't wait to see it on the road. I'm assuming this will be excluded from their lifetime powertrain warranty.

All SRT cars are. The regular RT Hemi shouldn't be.

The LX cars handle pretty well for the huge boats they are. This won't have to make as many compromises for smoothness and its competing against mustangs not miatas.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
likely to only have ~425HP, since that's what the 6.1L has had for the last few years.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004

What crawled up your ass and died?

Frankly, it will handle like ass in any direction but straight. Unless you have a suspension AND chassis designed from the ground up to handle over 2 tons AND lots of tire at each corner, this thing will snow plow like crazy. Example: The Bugatti Veyron has a curb weight of 4162 lb and can pull 1.3g (reportedly...) on the skidpad.

That doesn't mean you can't upgrade the suspension with aftermarket parts and get a car that handles a lot better than stock and is a blast to drive through the curves. But reality is that it's fundamental design and overweight nature will prevent it from being a true corner carver.

I know
|
|
|
V

I'll have to check how many G's I'm pulling next time I have a green arrow on the two Nurburgring inspired 90 degree corners I encounter in my entire 20 mile drive and see if I can plow through them at 100 mph on my way to work in the morning...

Dunno man, I might have to buy a Enzo, those left turns are brutal! I don't know how minivans and school buses can do it! I mean a Veyron pulls over 1G, that school bus is going to plow right into the stop sign...

(ie: 99.99% of people who buy cars for 'handling' drive in a straight line and make 90 degree turns from a stop in 99.99% of their daily driving and when they challenge someone it's at a light or at a merge on a straight. But they moan about any car that doesn't have the handling to run the Nurburgring in 2 minutes or compete with a Enzo/Veyron/etc. in the 'twisties'. ie: arm chair Formula 1 racers who know what they know about cars from video games like Gran Turismo on their PS3 or PSP).