Documentary "Jesus Camp"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joshw10

Feb 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: shadow9d9
There is a HUGE difference between these kids and the muslim terrorists...

Yes, the continent they live on and the color of their skin. Short of that, no difference in what they are being brainwashed into believing.

There is that part where they aren't strapping bombs to their chests and wandering into crowded places with the intent of murdering as many innocent people as they can...

I think what's dangerous with this, as we see with the Muslim extremists, is that being taught/brainwashed to a point where you believe that this religious stuff is FACT, just as a normal person believes 1+1=2, that you've now wired a mind that is capable of believing anything without requiring evidence or reasoning. You don't want that falling into the wrong hands...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Yes, the continent they live on and the color of their skin. Short of that, no difference in what they are being brainwashed into believing.

There is that part where they aren't strapping bombs to their chests and wandering into crowded places with the intent of murdering as many innocent people as they can...

Yet. Got any guarantees that they won't? Sure looks like a terrorist training camp to me.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: spunkz
A woman brings out a cardboard replica of President Bush and invites the children to gather around and touch it as she leads a prayer for him and his political agenda.

yep, sounds just like they're actually worshipping Bush. or maybe it's a prayer. wait, which interpretation would sell newspapers and lead to ignorant AT posts? i know!

So who's ignorant? Seems like idolatry to me.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Czar

introduce them to poverty and disparity and you have the same

A lot of the 9-11 terrorists were well educated and had money.
Try again.

take a look at the rest of the world
and then try again

The idea that poverty is the root cause of this is a bunch of crap when you look at a lot of the people running these organizations and many of them who blow themselves up.

Once you get past the idea that getting people out of poverty will somehow solve this problem, you can move onto the realization they do hate the west as much as they proclaim they do.

OBL, that guy was nothing but impoverished his entire life :disgust:
lets just say, its easy to influance and gain support from the poor and uneducated

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Estrella
Originally posted by: Frackal

When are people going to understand that a great many of the mujahideen ("terrorists") are upper class, educated individuals.

Not that you are one, but I swear, leftists are so obsessed with poverty being the root of all problems it drives me crazy. (They seem to be equally obsessed with the notion that the only solution to poverty is to "give stuff up.")

Anyway, what you said is inaccurate.

the leftists need to revise and say: All problems are caused by poverty and religious radical fundies!

there we go

FLAMESUIT ON!!!

If you add ignorance to poverty and religious radical fundies then I would agree.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe
Holy Schmoly!

If this is a repost I apologize, but this is outrageous.

Here are some of the highlights,

"Speaking in tongues, weeping for salvation, praying for an end to abortion and worshipping a picture of President Bush -- these are some of the activities at Pastor Becky Fischer's Bible camp in North Dakota, "Kids on Fire," subject of the provocative new documentary, "Jesus Camp.""

"I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the gospel as they are in Palestine, Pakistan and all those different places," Fisher said. "Because, excuse me, we have the truth."

"We're kinda being trained to be warriors," said another, "only in a funner way."

What are these people thinking? Their parents should be jailed for child abuse, I can't believe this is going on in America.

Edit here's a link to the trailer for the film: Jesus Camp

The part you bolded is my favorite part! "Thou shalt not make for thyself and idol in the form of anything in the heavens above, on the earth below, or in the waters beneath the earth. Thou shalt not bow down to them or worship them". Second commandment for anyone else in that camp? Hell I'm not even Christian and I know this one.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

When are people going to understand that a great many of the mujahideen ("terrorists") are upper class, educated individuals.

Not that you are one, but I swear, leftists are so obsessed with poverty being the root of all problems it drives me crazy. (They seem to be equally obsessed with the notion that the only solution to poverty is to "give stuff up.")

the leftists need to revise and say: All problems are caused by poverty and religious radical fundies!

there we go

FLAMESUIT ON!!!

So "lefties" cause no problems? Such arrogance

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

there we go

FLAMESUIT ON!!!

If you add ignorance to poverty and religious radical fundies then I would agree.

ignorance often = "not knowing and believing what I do"

straightalker

Dec 21, 2005
Holy Schmoly!

If this is a repost I apologize, but this is outrageous.

Here are some of the highlights,

"Speaking in tongues, weeping for salvation, praying for an end to abortion and worshipping a picture of President Bush -- these are some of the activities at Pastor Becky Fischer's Bible camp in North Dakota, "Kids on Fire," subject of the provocative new documentary, "Jesus Camp.""

"I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the gospel as they are in Palestine, Pakistan and all those different places," Fisher said. "Because, excuse me, we have the truth."

"We're kinda being trained to be warriors," said another, "only in a funner way."

What are these people thinking? Their parents should be jailed for child abuse, I can't believe this is going on in America.

Edit here's a link to the trailer for the film: Jesus Camp

Hmmm. Interesting dossier on a bunch of duped sheeple. Add this to the list of Ministries not to send your kids.

Reminds me of JIM JONES.

Don't drink the kool-aid.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I love how GenX is defending their right to religious freedom in this context, but God forbid if these were radical Muslim camps or what not.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
I love how GenX is defending their right to religious freedom in this context, but God forbid if these were radical Muslim camps or what not.

There are radical muslim schools right here in the United States and you dont see me wanting to have them shut down do you? But ask umbrella what we should do with them.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

There are radical muslim schools right here in the United States and you dont see me wanting to have them shut down do you? But ask umbrella what we should do with them.

Like this? Prove it.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Actually, Christianity has a long history of violence. Unless someone requests a history lesson, I don't think I need to expound on the Crusades, Dark Ages, Inquisition, Witch Hunts, etc.

Even today violence perpetuated by Christianity is all around us:

The refusal to allow any sort of contraceptives in Africa which brings millions of children into this world only to die of starvation and disease
Bombing of abortion clinics
Untold war casualties in Iraq of which the people in the Middle East see as the Christian West attacking Islam.
Women being denied the morning after pill or birth control by religious pharmacists
Christian leaders passing no exception abortion bans, such as in SD, which forces rape and incest victims or women whose life is in danger due to the pregnancy to carry babies to term.
The torture of the body of Terri Schiavo by dragging her life through the media simply to serve as a rallying cry to rile up the conservative base

Violence comes in many forms, not all of them as obvious as someone blowing themselves up.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: child of wonder
Actually, Christianity has a long history of violence. Unless someone requests a history lesson, I don't think I need to expound on the Crusades, Dark Ages, Inquisition, Witch Hunts, etc.

The refusal to allow any sort of contraceptives in Africa which brings millions of children into this world only to die of starvation and disease
Untold war casualties in Iraq of which the people in the Middle East see as the Christian West attacking Islam.
Women being denied the morning after pill or birth control by religious pharmacists
Christian leaders passing no exception abortion bans, such as in SD, which forces rape and incest victims or women whose life is in danger due to the pregnancy to carry babies to term.
The torture of the body of Terri Schiavo by dragging her life through the media simply to serve as a rallying cry to rile up the conservative base

Violence comes in many forms, not all of them as obvious as someone blowing themselves up.

Who are you responding to?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Like this? Prove it.

There's probably a better source...but here you go:

Link

Here's something else google found - again you won't like the source but much of it is verifiable (college level stuff):

Link

And here's a much better source:
Link

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006

No one in particular, just a response to the argument that these camps are innocuous and cannot be compared to other religious extremists because they're Christian and Christians don't blow themselves up.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Where? And if there is and it is the Muslim version of this "camp" then I feel exactly the same way. I have no problem with adults preaching intolerance and hatred but only when they are doing it to other adults. Leave the kids to form their own ideas. Don't brainwash them. I was born and raised Catholic and felt the attempted brainwashing at a very early age from the pulpit. Thankfully I did not have parents who force fed it to me. I was able to go or stop going to church any time I wanted. Do you think these kids at camp hate have that same option? Yeah.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Ill await the next swath of Chritian terrorist bombings killing thousands of people a year.

Until then, your comparison is invalid, try again.
Carve out a Muslim homeland from parts of North Dakota by UN fiat and let the "fun" begin.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Perknose
Ill await the next swath of Chritian terrorist bombings killing thousands of people a year.

Carve out a Muslim homeland from parts of North Dakota by UN fiat and let the "fun" begin.

This idea would be very entertaining to explore.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

No one in particular, just a response to the argument that these camps are innocuous and cannot be compared to other religious extremists because they're Christian and Christians don't blow themselves up.

no, they just meddle in everybody else's business, trying to spread the "word of God", pissing everybody else off and giving extremists reasons to egg their people on to do the things they do.

We may not do it directly, but we cause others to do it. Their actions are in a direct response to ours.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose

A more realistic comparison would be carving out a Native American homeland from parts of North Dakota. And I imagine we might have a little conflict from the locals as they were moved, then it would settle down.

Nah - I'm sure christians would pour over the border from Canada with bombs hidden in their toques. Catholics from mexico would load up lowrider car bombs and head to the great white north.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Christianity has a strong history of violience. While it's peaceful now, the radicalization of anything never results in anything good.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006

Timothy McVeigh , Try again.

I was raised a very strict christian.. and lets be honest, I was brainwashed.
They are attempting to brainwash these kids.
I'm Agnostic now, If you where born to a muslim family you would be muslim. Religion is a random act of birth.
To say that one faith has 'the truth' is not logical.. Why would god not tell us all 'this is what I expect of you' and allow us to make a decision, rather than blunder along.. I can guarantee you most people will follow the religion of their parents if they believe strongly, not out of holy spirit or deep spiritual knowledge but respect and love for their family.

And I do not believe that it is right to do this to your children.. lead by example and teach good morals then let them decide when they are old enough to understand what they are doing..
A realisation that they where spoon fed crap from an early age can be damaging to a person.

'worshipping a picture of President Bush'
If you are a christian, this should make you want to take your kids as far away from that camp as is possible.
Wheres your 10 commandments now eh?

And I would challenge any christian that is so pro the shrub to tell me exactly how does his policy reflect 'Christian' ideals and beliefs??
If you want to compare scripture I warn you, I was a preachers son.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Originally posted by: Agent11

Timothy McVeigh , Try again.

I'm certain you can find a few christians who have done horrible things. But wide scale, you don't see christians burning effigies of Diane Feinstein in the street and chanting death to democrats. This comparison is extremely weak. Also, whenever you hear a christian say something about "laying down their life for jesus", they aren't talking about literally dying. They are trying to say that you are giving up what you want for what jesus wants...not becoming a martyr and living in paradise.

You don't see little church kids talking about how they want to shoot Iranian clerics in the face then stab them with swords--but you do see muslim kids saying that about Ariel Sharon or Bush.

straightalker

Dec 21, 2005

Actual Christians are never given an imaginary order in their head to do the things you have just described. Did the 12 Apostles organize themselves into an army and march against Rome?

Don't confuse the label "christian" with the real thing and you can avoid much of your obvious hatreds. Look at the load of corrupt politicians in Wash. D.C. who call themselves loyal Americans. Are they what they say they are?