Doctor Who

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
I got the first season from Netflix. This is the new version. I never saw or heard of the old series.

I just got done watching the first episode and I wasn't too terribly impressed by it. What I'm asking is if this show gets better? I saw it got rated fairly high on some article read recently.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Absolutely terrific show. Season 1 and 2 were great. Wasn't that big of a fan of Season 3.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Stick with it. It is a good series if you are a fan of British Sci if/Comedies. I really enjoyed the first season, but I wished that they kept The 10? doctor longer than one season. The Second and third season and Doctor was good too

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Loved the original series. Don't like the new one. It doesn't help that the producer of the show decided that Billy Piper's character was the best. companion. evah. Oh, and the dreaded, unneeded, unwanted, romantic ANGST! that permeates the entire series. Ugh.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
My brother is a huge doctor who fan, so I've seen a fair amount of it. The original stuff just epitomizes every cheasy under budgeted sci fi show ever made. On the other hand, the new stuff I actually like, especially the first season with Rose. Not a big fan of Martha though.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
As enjoyable as the first few eps of the first new season are, things really get awesome around Episode 9. There's a character introduced who is, shall we say, kick-ass beyond measure.

Anyway, the show is the crown jewel of the BBC's sci-fi programming at the moment, and it's treated as such. It gets the best writers, the best special effects, and the highest budget of any of the other BBC sci-fi shows out there. (And higher than 95% of any of their other shows too) The quality of the show is top-notch, and it seems to get better every season.

The original series is very entertaining if you're a big sci-fi fan. Non sci-fi fans may have trouble with it though, because to paraphrase a particularly amusing Dead Ringers skit about Doctor Who, all the monsters are made out of tin foil. Back in the day it was the epitome of the little show that did amazing things with almost nothing. It's worth a watch, just to get some backstory about The Doctor.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's a very good series, and easily the best sci-fi show in production right now. Definitely watch all 3 seasons if you can.