DOCSIS 4.0, FDX, 10Gb, are you ready for the future? Will Cable leap-frog FIOS/fiber providers with DOCSIS 4.0?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is the maximum internet speed that your home LAN can handle?

• Less than 1GbE

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1GbE

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • 2.5GbE

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • 10GbE

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 40GbE or faster

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • It's all a bunch of tubes to me.

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have a constant ping running to google and it's usually ~30ms which is well within the needs for even voice packets to be clear. Sure, you could get a 10GE pipe and have 4ms or less depending on the destination but, you won't like the price on that either unless you're in a co-op and it's $100-$150/mo.

Cellular isn't for everyone but, it's an option that does work well if you aren't sitting in the dark 24/7 gaming w/ your pants down with Cheetos dust all over yourself and your rig.

So .... T-Mobile sales-bot are we? ;)

Having used it, I'll "suffer" with my cable instead thanks. (until I can get fiber)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
That's the dream for most geeks. I would prefer a symmetrical connection as well. The problem is it's pockets only and if you're not on the right corridor you're never getting it. I'm less than 2 blocks from a fiber ring and can't get them to extend it. I mean if the building put up a large retainer to get it extended and hit a threshold for signups then maybe. As it stands though they won't do it. I've tried several companies in the area that show up on the maps and none will do it.

The idiots in the building though for the most part over pay for ATT DSL as an SSID scan will show. At least they should be using cable instead of feeding into ATT's coffers monthly.

Fiber though can be expensive to deal with in the residential market if you're left to providing your own devices to connect to the network. Not too many people out there rolling their own router with the ability to just slot a card and plug in a SFP to the fiber handoff. If you have to use the ISP gear that's usually a PITA or additional cost depending on the setup.

Having worked in networking though for quite awhile it doesn't surprise me anymore no matter the size of the city there's oddities that cone up when shopping for bandwidth depending on the route maps for cabling, Each provider is a PITA and locks up the rights to run cable as part of their franchise agreements with municipalities. There's legislation though locally in different areas stripping those agreements and opening things up for co-op / municipal deployments in different pockets / regions. On average they're hitting 1GE speeds for less than $70/mo and 10GE offerings for $150/mo or less.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That's the dream for most geeks. I would prefer a symmetrical connection as well. The problem is it's pockets only and if you're not on the right corridor you're never getting it. I'm less than 2 blocks from a fiber ring and can't get them to extend it. I mean if the building put up a large retainer to get it extended and hit a threshold for signups then maybe. As it stands though they won't do it. I've tried several companies in the area that show up on the maps and none will do it.

The idiots in the building though for the most part over pay for ATT DSL as an SSID scan will show. At least they should be using cable instead of feeding into ATT's coffers monthly.

Fiber though can be expensive to deal with in the residential market if you're left to providing your own devices to connect to the network. Not too many people out there rolling their own router with the ability to just slot a card and plug in a SFP to the fiber handoff. If you have to use the ISP gear that's usually a PITA or additional cost depending on the setup.

Having worked in networking though for quite awhile it doesn't surprise me anymore no matter the size of the city there's oddities that cone up when shopping for bandwidth depending on the route maps for cabling, Each provider is a PITA and locks up the rights to run cable as part of their franchise agreements with municipalities. There's legislation though locally in different areas stripping those agreements and opening things up for co-op / municipal deployments in different pockets / regions. On average they're hitting 1GE speeds for less than $70/mo and 10GE offerings for $150/mo or less.

It's coming to my neighborhood in the immediate future actually & for a competitive price to Xfinity!

So the dream is real! :p

Tell you what though .... in the last three years my cable has been down a grand total of about 10 minutes.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
about 10 minutes.
That's pretty good. It's regional though. In the gulf coast it's not that stable. Though it was more stable than some of the power outages. There are always pockets thought hat are considerably more stable than others. Being in the north where most of the cable is buried makes a difference compared to being strung between poles. Get into the gulf or either cost though and you have issues with the salt water penetrating the fittings and corroding the lines.

Thinking back over the years though and working for different cable companies it's a good product to an extent. I would 1000% take it over any phone company though. The cellular though is appealing for portability and flat fee w/ no other charges. Also, being portable it's fun to see where there's better speeds available. I took it with me in the car around town to speed test in different areas to see if there were limitations / speed caps for the service and it was consistent. I did manage to find a spot 50ft from my building though that considerably makes it quicker than indoors. Not practical though for everyday use w/o some sort of external cabling / antennas.

If CC would drop their prices and up their UL it might be considered again down the road but, I doubt they'll do it w/o some contract to lock in for 2-3 years again.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I finally ditched my unlimited tethering ATT ipad, and got my fiber turned on. $79.00 for 300/300Mb. So far so good.
Liked it so much I had the fiber trenched into my other property and can ditch my unreliable ATT tethering there too.

Reactions: Captante