Dobly Digital Plus on older Sound System

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Finally after 7 years I unpackaged by old Emotiva + Sunfire sound system only discover it won't decode Netflix or Amazon Prime streams of Dolby Digital Plus (compressed) After a few day of research, the only solution is to bid on the Roku Ultra 4640X on ebay... AVSforums also seem to hit a dead end. Seems some newer TV might convert it to DD 5.1 over optical but not all, and I don't want to buy a new TV and find it it doesn't support it. anyone else encounter this or have a solution?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
After much personal struggle I am convinced the purpose of the alphabet soup of audio formats is strictly to force you to buy new gear on a regular basis, ideally forcing you to upgrade everything in the chain. Case in point, how sure are you that the Roku will talk to the old gear in the desired format?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
This is why I just buy mid-fi receivers and stick to high efficiency speakers for home theater. You aren't going to be constantly worrying about your flagship receiver or pre/pro going extinct in a few years. Just drop $400 on a receiver every once in a while.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You are not going to find anything Dobly unless it is a cheap Asian knock off...…..