Do your neighbors blast *good* music?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Some of the 18 unemployed teenaged parents living in the apartment below me likes to blast music. It's like getting my feet massaged when I walk around. I've gotten over the sheer noise, since they only seem to do it between 10am and 6pm.

The music they play sucks though. It's some kind of rap-in-a-can. It wouldn't be so bad if they were playing something interesting. Have your neighbors ever cranked up the stereo with something you like? I need to get a 14" woofer and stick it on the floor.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So if they make rap-in-a-can....is it possible to purchase Rock-in-a-bottle?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
All I usually get are showtunes from next door (yes, it is what you think) or random top 40 hits blasted from upstairs for about 10 minutes at 1:00 A.M. Sat /Sun when the couple upstairs comes home drunk.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
youre lucky. my neighbors have built a stage (covered, in case it rains) in their backyard. they even have a PA system in it. mind you, there are a few mexican families living there so when they have a "party" (which is way too often for me) all you hear is amplified accordion music and drums, with some guy talking faster than a lawyer in a car commercial (but in espanol). there are 5 or 6 houses in the neighborhood that do this often, so any given night i an come home and hear a free concert. luckily there is a 1030pm noise law, and they usually are pretty good about that part. also lucky that i have well insulated block walls, so once i go inside i cant hear it at all. when i could hear it and it would wake up my kids, i would go out and tell them to turn it down. to which they would laugh, say ok and then start insulting me in espanol.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Townhouse renting FTW!

When we rented an apartment we had neighbors that liked songs that only had low frequency sounds but I could never really tell what(probably rap). I think they only had a .1 channel surround sound system

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
if you were my neighbor you would : P

I'd give you a nice eclectic selection from jazz, soul, blues, funk, reggae, dub, indie rock & pop, hip hop, instrumental post rock and classical.

---

when I lived in apts all I would hear is crappy rap and nu-metal.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
So if they make rap-in-a-can....is it possible to purchase Rock-in-a-bottle?
Given what I hear on the radio, it almost assuredly is possible.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
My neighbor apparently has his sub right next to our common wall (townhouses) and likes to watch action movies.. so I get BOOM..RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE..BOOM

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Even if it's a song you love, when your neighbor is blasting it, it ceases to be good music.

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
yesterday my neighbor on the other side of the block was blasting spanish music and he was freakin singing along as loud as possible!! so freaking annoying!!!!!

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
I have a neighbor that sings horrible karaoke. The songs are ok choices, it's just too bad she butchers them.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
my neighbor has a nice setup in his car as well...so we never complain to eachother about noise..

he listens to progressive/some rap/some classic rock...never bothers me...

oh his setup is 3x10" infiniti kappa perfects powered by a memphis 1000d, infiniity kappa components up front powered by a pioneer 2 channal..... it sounds great.

my setup is 2x12" kicker comp cvr2s in a slot ported enclosure built to size for the subs, powered by an Alpine MRD10005 1000.1 amp, and Boston Acoustics i forget the model number components up front..

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My neighbor is something like 80 years old. I'm the neighbor that blasts music (I have a PA in the living room). When my band practices, if there's a window open, it's audible a decent distance away.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I need to get a 14" woofer and stick it on the floor.

Laying the woofer on the floor does little to annoy anyone below:

Text

But it does a good job of blowing it up. :laugh:

i had upstairs neighbors when i lived in an apartment that were asshole college kids. they would come home at 1am (last call) and make all kinds of noise, stomping around and then turn on the stereo and blast it as long as they could. if it woke me up, id go and ask them nicely to turn it down, to which they wouldnt. i never called the cops on them, by the time i was mad enough to do that someone else had already done it. i also had a pair of peavey SP-1 stage monitors (850w xovers) and a 600w in my apartment, so two of us lifted one up to the ceiling one fri nite. turned it to eleventy with some crappy hip-hop and held it there for about 20 min, to which they came down and asked us to turn it down, please. i told them they should have listened and done the same when i asked, and basically told them to pound sand. they turned it down that night after about 15 more minutes of their floor shaking and never did that again. of course, this is also the apartment that had one girl arrested for flashing her titties at a few 10 yr olds. after that, it all went downhill for them.

point: it does work to place a woofer box directly down to the floor or ceiling, as long as you have some air chamber between your woof and the floor/ ceiling. its also very effective if youre running 15" subs with 600w going thru them. that cabinet was too heavy for one person, it was almost too heavy for two to hold for the 30 min we held it for.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
youre lucky. my neighbors have built a stage (covered, in case it rains) in their backyard. they even have a PA system in it. mind you, there are a few mexican families living there so when they have a "party" (which is way too often for me) all you hear is amplified accordion music and drums, with some guy talking faster than a lawyer in a car commercial (but in espanol). there are 5 or 6 houses in the neighborhood that do this often, so any given night i an come home and hear a free concert. luckily there is a 1030pm noise law, and they usually are pretty good about that part. also lucky that i have well insulated block walls, so once i go inside i cant hear it at all. when i could hear it and it would wake up my kids, i would go out and tell them to turn it down. to which they would laugh, say ok and then start insulting me in espanol.

It's called Banda and every song ends the way ........ Dum, Duh, duhhhhhhhhh..............! (long and strung out accordians at the end) I really feel for ya. I used to like it but I put it below rap now!
I know about the party thing, it's a big deal when a mexican has a birthday. They invite 100's of people. Add kids and it's more like 500. It's like every week someone's having a party or going to one.

Where I used to work, a big group of people would not show up for work on the same day every so often. When asked why they did'nt come in, they'd give some lame excuse. I found out later that it was for Birthdays. Hey, I always worked on my birthday but would celebrate it on Fri/Sat night!!!!

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
My neighbor has a nice system and is a classic rock buff :thumbsup:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: hanoverphist

point: it does work to place a woofer box directly down to the floor or ceiling, as long as you have some air chamber between your woof and the floor/ ceiling. its also very effective if youre running 15" subs with 600w going thru them. that cabinet was too heavy for one person, it was almost too heavy for two to hold for the 30 min we held it for.

It works even better to corner load the subs. Of course the bass is louder everywhere. The sub in the video that blew up was connected to a 12kW amp. :Q Even in the free air, it takes a good 120V RMS (yes volts which is about 1,8kW at 8?) to make the driver reach it's "1.6" max excursion before damage" limit according to JBL. It's a workhorse but I find Black Widows are more musical. ;)

Bass isn't needed to "fight back" either - if you have the appropriate program material; a 25W amp and a few university sound 117dB 1W/1M "bull horns" will suffice. :laugh:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I have a neighbor who is an extremely unpleasant person to be around, but who also happens to listen exclusively to classic rock. So I certainly can't fault his taste in music, go figure...