Do you & your SO have to say I love you every time you talk on the phone

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Good lord...
these young lovey dovey couples i know... they say i love you on the phone every time.... its like its attached to the goodbye or something.

I understand saying it, if its a see you tomorrow goodnight, or going out of town goodbye...

BUT Phone conversations like the below werent meant to be 3 stanza love poems... and it is really annoying:

Hello?
Hello.
Hi honey,
Hey...
Whats up?
I have to stop and pick up milk and then I'll be over.
Ok.
I love you & miss you...
I Love you too...
bye...
bye...

OMFG... that just annoys the hell out of me... maybe it because im married, i dunno
Geez with us its like... Direct connect walkie talkie style...

this is how it should be done

Hey...
Yea?
I have to get some milk and I'll be there in ten.
K.
<click>

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
i dont mind saying it, because we only talk on the phone a max of once a day. if my wife called me.. 2-4 times a day, i would be annoyed. id be annoyed with her calling me so much.
but telling my wife i love her, that never gots annoying to me.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
I hate speaking to my girlfriend on the phone... she annoys me with her constant bitching about her friends, professorss, etc.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
my wife and i say it, same with my parents and i, every phone conversation. You never know if it will the the last words they ever hear from you, or the last words you ever hear from them.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: batmang
i dont mind saying it, because we only talk on the phone a max of once a day. if my wife called me.. 2-4 times a day, i would be annoyed. id be annoyed with her calling me so much.
but telling my wife i love her, that never gots annoying to me.

Hey... while your at the store will you get me some raisins?
ok
luv ya bye
bye...

Oh Hey... I forgot I need some butter too.
ok
luv ya bye
bye...

Oh Hey... I need you to park in the street instead of the driveway so Mom isnt blocked in.
ok
luv ya bye
bye...

3 times as annoying.

Oct 4, 2004
No, I only say that when it is relevant and the situation/mood genuinely evokes the emotion. I also have this weird thing about not saying "I Love You" on the phone. It feels a whole lot better when we can see each others faces light up in person on hearing/saying that. Also, saying 'I love you' one time too many kinda numbs its meaning.

"Hey honey, I got a discount coupon you can have"
"OMG, I LOVE YOU!"

My gf used to say 'I love you' a lot on the phone. I started replying with, "Me too" & "I know" and she gradually got the hint.

NuAlphaMan

Aug 30, 2006
that's why a bunch of you will be where you are now, alone in front of a PC screen. You need to tell you SO you love her before someone else does. Saying you love your SO shouldn't be bothersome, it should be refreshing that some one loves your stankin' azz!

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: NuAlphaMan
that's why a bunch of you will be where you are now, alone in front of a PC screen.

Cheapshot. I know I love her, She knows I love her, I know she loves me. So what's with the constant reassurance?

Don't need to reduce something as beautiful as "I Love You" to some automatic response you give your SO just to keep her feeling secure and happy.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Yes
No

Not yet at least, but I think it's a good thing that that doesn't annoy me considering I'll be marrying her in 25 days and counting :p

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001

Same thing goes for me when She asks me if I want her to come over to my place.

Her: Want me to come over?
Me: yea, come over.
Her: do you really or are you just saying that?
Me: Huh?

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: sao123
Good lord...
these young lovey dovey couples i know... they say i love you on the phone every time.... its like its attached to the goodbye or something.

I understand saying it, if its a see you tomorrow goodnight, or going out of town goodbye...

BUT Phone conversations like the below werent meant to be 3 stanza love poems... and it is really annoying:

Hello?
Hello.
Hi honey,
Hey...
Whats up?
I have to stop and pick up milk and then I'll be over.
Ok.
I love you & miss you...
I Love you too...
bye...
bye...

OMFG... that just annoys the hell out of me... maybe it because im married, i dunno
Geez with us its like... Direct connect walkie talkie style...

this is how it should be done

Hey...
Yea?
I have to get some milk and I'll be there in ten.
K.
<click>

single, if not why the hell does it bother you?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
We say "Love you" almost every time we hang up with each other. Why? Because we do. Never know if that will be the last time you speak to one another.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: forfor
I hate speaking to my girlfriend on the phone... she annoys me with her constant bitching about her friends, professorss, etc.

Sounds like a real winner of a relationship there....

EmperorIQ

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2003
We do say it, if its a long conversation, but when its something simple like "hey, i'm at the store, want anything?" We don't have to say i love you.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Yes, we do that on the phone. And we also do it when we are just sitting there doing something. We say it a lot, because we feel like it. She doesn't have to say it back, nor do I. We just feel like it. :)

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
The real question is, why does it bother you so much?

But yeah, people who are too sappy without having any real idea what the word means can sometimes be troublesome.