Do you wear an undershirt with a button up?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I wear mostly only polo shirts. I have a desk job for IT. It's business casual which is polo shirts and khakis. I don't look like a car salesman.

No. Instead, you look like you work at Best Buy or Kinkos.

It's a good look. For 20-year-olds working their first job...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
7c53d1255ae88cc980b6bf86705faa41.png

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't wear undershirts from Feb 2015. My wife throws them out and buys me new as a Christmas gift.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I go through phases and sometimes wear them, sometimes don’t, both with button downs and polos. Although, I rarely wear polos these days. On some of the lighter polos I have my nips show without a T-shirt underneath.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I wear wife beaters basically all the time. I wear them when I'm working out and exercising too and sweat right through them too. Generally speaking I wear em because I sweat easily and if I didn't wear em I'd sweat right through them. Like my back will get hot just driving in the car and if I didn't have an under shirt on when I get up my shirt would be sticking to my back. Things like that. At this point it's simply more comfortable to wear one than not.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
adds warmth, feels better, hides sweat in the summer. keeps my polos from getting pit stains

Pretty accurate description. I'm in New England, 6 months out of the year the extra layer is required. The other six hides my sweatiness

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'm wearing a golf shirt with an undershirt, top button undone, nice crew neck tee underneath.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Nooo no. Airflow is needed to keep cool. Why trap heat close to the body?

Back in my early years when ordinary antiperspirants ironically caused hyperhydrosis, I did dabble in undershirts to preserve my good shirts from waxy armpit deodorant buildup. Turned out, what I really needed was Certain Dri® ... not undershirts.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Wear undershirts at all times unless I'm just wearing a regular t-shirt or tank top. It's a must for me because I sweat way too much. I've actually started wearing compression shirts rather than cotton t shirts. I can't remember if it's under armor cold or heat gear, but whichever ones help wick the sweat away. They actually feel good under a dress or polo shirt, which are what I wear to work.

Jun 18, 2000
Wear undershirts at all times unless I'm just wearing a regular t-shirt or tank top. It's a must for me because I sweat way too much. I've actually started wearing compression shirts rather than cotton t shirts. I can't remember if it's under armor cold or heat gear, but whichever ones help wick the sweat away. They actually feel good under a dress or polo shirt, which are what I wear to work.
Your coworkers must be so confused.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I wear t-shirts or wife beaters. They have to be V neck as I hate the look of a tshirt under a shirt. I wear them for the following reasons.

1. I sweat, a lot, like even in 0 degree weather. Tshirts absorb most of the sweat.
2. I can get a few wears out of each shirt and the tshirts absorb the sweat and stench associated with it.
3. I can just quickly rinse a tshirt out after use and don't have to worry about running out of them.
4. Vneck tshirts, being they don't have to be seen, don't have to be pure white looking and therefore I don't have to use bleach.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I see I poasted in this thread 3.5 years ago affirming I did wear an undershirt. I wear an undershirt with anything, usually for added warmth (I hate being cold and can get cold easier than most people I guess) and I feel it gives me a "fuller" look cause I'm skinny as shit.

LOL I said I'd try it without an undershirt with a button up but of course I promptly forgot about it and never did. I'm too scurred to now. I certainly ain't trying it until next spring/summer anyway, too fucking cold for me now.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I used to, and then I figured out how stupid it was. Unless you have a problem with sweating all the time, there is no need for an undershirt. I also can't remember the last time I wore a long sleeved button up with the sleeves actually out. I'll always roll them up. That last part probably isn't the best choice, but business casual works around here.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I used to wear V necks when I worked but now that I am retired in Florida I let it all hang out. :cool:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
It seems to me that everytime I see someone not wearing an undershirt and a dress shirt, they reek. Like every time. Even cotton dress shirts. That would be the thing to be aware of. Otherwise, the $10 undershirt preserves your $70 dress shirt.