Do you vote party line?

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Does the presidential election effect your voting pattern? Will you be voting straight ticket? If so, why?

I plan on voting for Barack this upcoming election and I split roughly evenly on the local elections.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't know how to answer that, because of the difference between 'do you vote party line automatically" or "do you vote party line because you agree with one party".

I'm strongly opposed to the 'real' agenda of the Republicans and see the alternative as the progressive wing of the Democratic party, and so I will tend to vote for democrats.

But it's not 'because they're democrats', it's because I agree with their positions.

I have moved a long way on recognizing the importance of party though insofar as the party's ability to get things done needing numbers, so those who 'vote for the best person' fail to account for the effect on which party has how much power. If I saw a Republican I thought was a little better than a democrat, I have to also weigh the impact on reducing the numbers for the democratic party and its agenda overall.

I think people who strongly are aligned with one party are different than people who vote party line as if it were a sports team, with reasons like 'because they always have'.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
No I don't always vote for 1 party but I almost always vote against the Republicans. After the last 7+ years and seeing who they have running for Pres and especially who they have running for VP it's an easy choice.

synapsetx

Sep 19, 2008
I certainly hope no one is a "pull the lever" type. If I had my druthers, single-punch straight party voting would be banned. George Washington would have supported me on it too.

If you can't take the time to even bubble, select, pencil in, punch or whatever method you use in order to select a candidate - then you don't deserve the vote.

Feb 6, 2007
I don't vote strictly party lines; I familiarize myself with candidates and read up on their stances on key issues, then vote accordingly. Of course, this generally has me voting a straight D ticket, but I don't do it solely because of the letter next to a candidate's name (if it is for lesser offices that I am unfamiliar with, I will often leave those portions of my ballot blank, as I believe an uninformed vote is a dangerous thing).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Yep I always vote against the Republicans. After the last 7+ years and seeing who they have running for Pres and especially who they have running for VP it's an easy choice.
So what about when you can't make the simpleton's choice? There are 3 petition ballots coming up for mass....

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: alchemize
Not at all. Anyone who does is stupid, a partisan hack, or both.

That's not true in all cases. I won't vote a democrat but if the republican counterpart isn't any good I will either not vote for that position or write in. The democrats stand (in general) for things I am morally against. My morals count for something. I may not always vote for a R but I won't vote for a D because I stand on opposite sides of almost everything.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I tend to vote D for presidential elections and R for local/congressional elections, though 2006 was definitely a straight D year for me.

it's weird now that I've moved to the republican section of NJ.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
I tend to vote D for presidential elections and R for local/congressional elections, though 2006 was definitely a straight D year for me.

Do you see 2008 as a year you will vote for straight D?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Originally posted by: loki8481

Do you see 2008 as a year you will vote for straight D?

I'll be voting republican for congress... mostly because Lautenberg is old as dirt and I'm pretty sure he's senile. he shouldn't have run for reelection.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I typically vote for the Democrats because they represent more intelligence and less evil.

Say what you want, on average the Republicans are just worse in every way. Since neither team is willing to reduce government or spending, I'm going to go with the side that spends how I feel government funds should be spent (education, science, things that actually benefit society)

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
If I saw a Republican I thought was a little better than a democrat, I have to also weigh the impact on reducing the numbers for the democratic party and its agenda overall.

So your answer is yes, then, right?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
My answer is no. I have two values that I believe very strongly in, but I'm quite flexible on the rest. Even considering those values, I'm more interested in my president's character and consistency, which affords me to have no allegiances. However, when both parties are offering crap, which tends to be the case, I default to those two values, which are right wing beliefs.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
No. I vote for the most liberal person I think can win. That ultimately ends up being the Democrats. Fortunately, this time I get to vote for Barack Obama. Obama does have conservative-leaning views I don't agree with, but overall I think he is a fantastic candidate.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
No, I always vote against the incumbent. I vote Republican for congress because my Democrat voted for the war. Might as well have the real thing.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I vote on the principals of people before government. Of course it is difficult to find that position on the ballot these days.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus
I will be voting party line for the 1st time in my life. (independant voter)

The republicans are a joke, its that simple.

What about local officials?

If I find a local guy that I really like and feel is competent, I'll vote for him over the party. My State Rep. spent 5 minutes talking to me canvassing one day, and I think I'll vote for him even though I do not have a favorable opinion of the Republican party this year.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If there's a candidate I feel strongly for or against I'll vote accordingly. If I don't know much about a candidate for a particular office I'll vote third party when possible. Otherwise I vote against the incumbent R or D.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Originally posted by: Acanthus
I will be voting party line for the 1st time in my life. (independant voter)

The republicans are a joke, its that simple.

What about local officials?

If I find a local guy that I really like and feel is competent, I'll vote for him over the party. My State Rep. spent 5 minutes talking to me canvassing one day, and I think I'll vote for him even though I do not have a favorable opinion of the Republican party this year.

Exactly. The whole party thing goes out the window when you are talking about local elections. All the local officials are democrats where I live. I have an issue I am trying to get worked out and e-mailed my district senator on Thursday afternoon. Two hours later I got a phone call from him saying he had been in touch with someone who should be able to help with instructions on what I needed to do. I have the feeling I will be voting for that guy.