Do you use your computer as a heater?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Twista
I turn on a computer game to keep the cpu @ 100% than turn on a memory tester than turn off all fans. Yes, this includes the CPU fan ;] Nice and toasty!

If you are just running the CPU to generate heat, run some distributed computing software instead of a game.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: Twista
I turn on a computer game to keep the cpu @ 100% than turn on a memory tester than turn off all fans. Yes, this includes the CPU fan ;] Nice and toasty!

If you are just running the CPU to generate heat, run some distributed computing software instead of a game.

I agree with Leros. You can keep toasty with science.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, my computer runs F@H pretty much constantly. The rest of our house is kept at 65F, but I would say my room (when I keep the door closed for >1 hour) gets up to almost 75F.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Beachboy
I used to use my computer as a heater but it runs too cool now unless I am actually running a 3D app to get my videocard pumping out the heat. :p

My old 19" CRT and older Pentiums/AMD chips really used to warm up a room... now my LCD and E6400 don't put out enough heat to make a difference one way or the other.

Ditto. Since I got my LCD and new Antec HE power supply, it doesn't put out much heat at all. I don't OC either.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I run SETI@Hoime during the winters. I have 3 pc's in the living room, so it does warm it up some. The vaulted celings limit the rise in temp, though.

This way, I usually only run the heater a few months out of the year. (of course, my part of TX is fairly mild in the winter.)

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
If I need a heater, I just turn on my dad's Pentium 4 laptop. It roasts your lap, and can increase the ambient temperature of a room by probably 2-3 degrees Celsius.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked

Wait, you have a pair of 3007s? Pics STAT!

Actually seven of them but no more than one hooked to a single PC. I had two connected to the FX60 system but that's been replaced with a C2D system. (which has its own)

I'd hate to be in a unvented room with a bunch of X1900XTX's. Can you say sauna? :Q