Do you use the number pad to enter numbers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Babbles
I use it exclusively except for the rare occasions I am on a laptop. I used to do a lot of accounting type thing as a part-time job and had to use an adding machine, which is just doing ten-key. At work as a chemist I enter in a lot of datum in the form of numbers so it is just faster and more practical to use the keyboard.

To use the num pad you mean?

Oh, and by your sig I would have never guessed you were a chemist. Tell carbon I said hello and would love to bond with her.

Signed,
O and N.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
If you don't, consider learning how to. It's great and fast once you can do it without looking.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I :heart: the keyboard numberpad. And I hate the phone keypad. WHY did they have to make the phone keypad upside down from the keyboard number pad?!

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Always. I hate typing on laptops because all my passwords are numerical and i can use the number pad really fast without looking.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
If there are a lot of numbers (more than say 4 or 5), then I will move my hand to the #pad. Otherwise, I can touch-type the numbers at the top of the keyboard... it's just a bit slower. But the speed-up of the #pad is offset by the time needed to move my hand to/from it. (Exception: if there are a lot of letters laced into the numbers like in some software serial codes, I won't move my hand b/c typing say P followed by Z is annoying with only one hand.)

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Yup, i hate using the top row, which is one reason why i hate using my notebook for typing...

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
For the most part, I'll enter any number in using the number pad...which is why I get so damn thrown off with my laptop.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
if it's exclusively numbers, yes. if there are letters to type in as well then no.

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
I use my keypad all the time, but I go back and forth between the main #'s and the keypad....depends on what characters I type and what they're closer to...

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
It's weird, I'm used to using the regular laptop number pad now, so I'm quicker using that than a 10-key. However, if I use a 10-key for a few days I'm sure I'd switch over pretty quickly.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I use it when there's more than just a couple numbers to type. I never used to but had to type quite a bit of numbers at an old job I had so I learned it and got quite quick with it.