Do you use Noscript? I have for over a year but the last few days it's breaking several of my sites

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Of course, using noscript is kind of user intensive. Go to a new site and you have to configure NOSCRIPT to "TRUST" this and that until you get what you want, presumably leaving at least something untrusted, e.g. doubleclick (which I NEVER TRUST).

Well, several places I routinely go suddenly stopped working over the last few days and I can't begin to explain why. I reset Chrome (my usual browser) less than an hour ago, which disables all extensions. Then my pages worked. I reenabled my extentions (around 10-12), and things screwed up again. I reenabled extensions one at a time until I found the one that enabled caused my sites to again not work and that's NOSCRIPT. I have no idea whatever why this has happened. I had changed nothing in NOSCRIPT, made no changes to my systems or Chrome. This is evidently the same for both the Win10 64bit laptops I've been using.

Any ideas?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Look at the noscript drop down and see if there is a common disallowed domain between the sites

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Look at the noscript drop down and see if there is a common disallowed domain between the sites
There is none. Two of the three sites that are broken with NOSCRIPT enabled have only doubleclick disallowed. The other has nothing disallowed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ay need to reinstall noscrit then. Not even sure if you can export exclusions

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ay need to reinstall noscrit then. Not even sure if you can export exclusions
OMG... is it worth doing? I could look for an export function. I mean, I've spent a LOT of time making all those adjustments, trusting this and that. I used to just make it trust everything but doubleclick, then I did some research a month or two ago and decided I shouldn't do that. Just trust some stuff, and see how things work. I only started using it because someone here said it would let me get past paywalls if I did, Washington Post, IIRC. I don't think that worked. Using Brave did work... well, for a while. I don't pay for a lot online. NYTimes, yes.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I stopped using noscript a few years ago for similar behavior.

I now use scriptsafe.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I use Ghostery and have the same problems on a handful of sites.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
OMG... is it worth doing? I could look for an export function. I mean, I've spent a LOT of time making all those adjustments, trusting this and that. I used to just make it trust everything but doubleclick, then I did some research a month or two ago and decided I shouldn't do that. Just trust some stuff, and see how things work. I only started using it because someone here said it would let me get past paywalls if I did, Washington Post, IIRC. I don't think that worked. Using Brave did work... well, for a while. I don't pay for a lot online. NYTimes, yes.
Or try deny all again for one site, then allow whichever you want to allow.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Sites are so script-heavy these days (which I absolutely hate versus having an already-complete page sent to my browser) that I gave up on it a while ago too.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Or try deny all again for one site, then allow whichever you want to allow.
I had the idea to turn off all extensions, then turn on NOSCRIPT and see if there was a problem with those 3 sites that are screwing up all of a sudden:

Honey's See price history (shows up for 1/2 second and goes white)
Nextdoor (turns completely black)
NYTimes online (formatting went nuts last couple days, at least for Opinion pieces)

If not, I figure it's the combination of NOSCRIPT and some other extension. Sensible? Perhaps.

If I spot that a combo exists that screws up those sites I can choose between the two which I prefer to do without...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
given that a ton of webapp front-ends are written in JS now, i don't ever disable it
Yeah, when I go to a new website I often get a notification that java script is needed... until I go to NOSCRIPT and TRUST at least the site page itself, but there's usually 3-20ish other items, many of whom are default TRUSTed but several are always not.

Uh, so what is the thing with doubleclick? People hate it, evidently. I guess it's kind of spammy or anti-privacy. The guy here who told me about NOSCRIPT said to never TRUST doubleclick.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Sometimes you have to allow something like doubleclick in order to see the rest of the blockable items so the site will work. I see this behavior on more and more sites. I have to click set all this page to temporarily trusted several times for many sites to work.

I've been doing a lot of shopping lately and got to the point that I disable ublock origin for the site and then start allowing all noscript items. It's the only way I could get some sites to fully function.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dunno how chrome handles things, but with firefox, you have to allow extensions to run in private windows. You could disallow extensions for private windows, use those for your problematic sites, and run regular windows for general browsing.

The internet sucks. You open a page, it doesn't work quite right, so you allow a single script, and it calls a bunch more. Allow some of those, and you get another raft load of scripts. I'm pretty tired of the whole thing. I use NoScript, and ublock in medium mode. It adds a lot of work to browsing. Ublock in medium mode covers a lot of the functionality of NoScript. It isn't really easier to use. You still have to selectively allow things to run, but maybe it'll work better for you?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I used to but it was too much of a hassle. Almost every site now days has like 40+ javascript domains and then you need to fiddle around with it to figure out which one you need to allow for the page to even load. Makes doing any form of online research very cubbersome since you need to play that game on every single result you land on. News and recipe sites are by far the worst. So much garbage web programming these days.

I wish they treated it more like an A/V where they would have definition files that automatically update instead of having to create a white list yourself. Make it so it blocks all the bad stuff while allowing the stuff that is required for the site to even work. They should also block specific types oif javascript instead of just go by domain. For example, modals. I fucking hate those.

Dec 10, 2005
Sites are so script-heavy these days (which I absolutely hate versus having an already-complete page sent to my browser) that I gave up on it a while ago too.
This. I got tired of playing games to get sites to work. Especially annoying when trying to purchase something and the interstitial site would get blocked.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I deleted it from FF about a month ago, for much the same reason. Got tired of having to open some sites in a private window where NS wasn't running.