Do you use Gmail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Gmail automatically saves stuff as you go, in case you get disconnected. E.g. if you are preparing to compose an e-mail, and you upload a batch of attachments.

Essentially, gmail creates a temporary file for each new item that you upload, compose, start writing, etc. E.g. if you type an e-mail, it'll automatically save it as a draft every 30 seconds or so.

Once you send the message, all the temporary files associated with that message get sent to trash. The catch is that if you search the trash, you'll find them.

Not necessarily. The strange part is that they don't show in trash unless you search a certain way. You might think you've permanently deleted all traces of something when you haven't.

The save-as-you-go thing has been that way for a long time. This problem I described is new.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Ichinisan, you have one of the most annoying sigs. Seriously

Depends on your operating system.
ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็
ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No messages matched your search. You can broaden your search to look in "Mail & Spam & Trash".
Learn more

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
No messages matched your search. You can broaden your search to look in "Mail & Spam & Trash".
Learn more

You probably haven't sent any messages with attachments or pictures since the new compose interface arrived (or you never enabled the new compose interface). Anyway, I think they're related since it started around the same time.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yea whats up with this shit. Every time I log into Youtube or GMail they ask for my phone number
The main reason is to make password recovery easier and more reliable.

If your account gets hacked or you lose your password then you'll have to go through the recovery process. This is deliberately time-delayed to prevent hackers from changing the security questions; however, if you fat finger a new password, and lock yourself out, then gmail will not permit password recovery via your security question within 24 hours.

If you've got a cell number registered, then you can unlock your account immediately via SMS.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I tried the new compose and I don't like it. Luckily, you can switch back to the old compose. From the new compose window, select the Arrow at the bottom Right. The option to switch back to old compose is in there.

Feb 19, 2001
new compose pops up on the BOTTOM right? How does this make sense if you have a largeass screen? I click compose on the upper left, and a box pops up on the bottom right. For that reason I moved my Gchat to the right also. It doesn't make sense to have windows popup on the right with the list on the left

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I been using Gmail a long time. But over the last year it seems most of their changes arent what I like. Fuck them. FUCK THEM!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My email from several accounts, including Gmail hasn't substantially changed in years. The joys of using a proper client :^)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
My email from several accounts, including Gmail hasn't substantially changed in years. The joys of using a proper client :^)

No mail client comes close to the conversation / label functionality of Gmail.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Not a fan of the new compose. It accidentally sent when I hit Enter (trying to carriage return) and some other key by accident. bah

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Not a fan of the new compose. It accidentally sent when I hit Enter (trying to carriage return) and some other key by accident. bah

That's not what this thread is about, but the old one probably would have done that too.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
new compose pops up on the BOTTOM right? How does this make sense if you have a largeass screen? I click compose on the upper left, and a box pops up on the bottom right. For that reason I moved my Gchat to the right also. It doesn't make sense to have windows popup on the right with the list on the left

It makes perfect sense, it keeps your inbox in clear view while you work on your composing.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
It makes perfect sense, it keeps your inbox in clear view while you work on your composing.

It depends on what you're writing. If it's just a quick reply, it makes sense. If you're working on a long message, you want it in the center of the screen to more easily focus on it. Fortunately there's a button you can press to detach the compose window and put it in the center. I don't mind the new interface. It was much worse when they put super-thick white borders around everything, but thankfully you can switch to compact mode.