Do you use full liveware or drivers only for SB live?

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
I have a SB Live! Value and I find that MOST of the software for the full Liveware is just bloated and useless for most things so I tried the driver only download. However it appears that that doesn't support soundfonts? Is that correct? Do you use the full liveware or driver only liveware and why?

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
I have the full liveware installed, but have it disabled from starting itself up in msconfig.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I installed the full liveware 3 upgrade because at the time,I heard it was out & didn't know any better! never made full use of all the features!

MiniThug

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
Does the liveware 3 include the drivers or do you need to download the drivers and liveware 3?

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
That's right, no soundfont control without LiveWare. LiveWare does allow you to dump most of the programs when you select Custom setup. I only end up installing about 20MB, including drivers, DOS support, EAX and soundfonts, rather than the full blown crap in the package.

bluesky

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2000
Driver only.
Was trying to custimize few programs, the damn sb16 was giving headache.
Dos driver was littering too much on bootup screen.

MGMorden

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2000
All I ever do if possible for hardware is drivers only. I can't stand stuipd annoying programs that I never use. Of course for people more into the sound stuff on their computer I'm sure there's some things in LiveWare that they'd want, so I guess it's just a matter of preference.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I use Live!Ware 3 and disable AudioHQ and the Launcher from startup in Win2000. If I ever need 4-speaker support I just open up the launcher and change it to 4 speakers, and then exit again :)

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Driver only in WinMe, but I have most of the LiveWare 3 components installed in Win2k b/c theres a few programs in there that I like. I disable all the crap it wants to run on bootup though.

EvilDonnyboy

Banned
Jul 28, 2000
Full Liveware isntallation. Haven't used any of the features after the second day of installing them, but they don't take up a lot of disk space, and are un-intrusive if you disable them at startup.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It seems after I install liveware that 30 seconds are added to my boot time. Er maybe that's just the sb live! drivers. Argh it takes this system so long to boot and I'm 99% sure it started doing that after installing sound card stuff. :|

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I have the drivers only installed from the cds that came with my Platinum 5.1 (since the web versions don't work). The thing is, I can't get my optical output to work right, outputs everything in one track, even when I have the winamp plug in installed and synchro record on. I'm gonna try installing the full package one of these days to see if there's an option in there to fix the problem.

chuckieland

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2000
i have install full liveware 3 so my all 4 of my speak will work.
without liveware, only the 2 front speak get sound

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
chuckieland: Yeah I used to have to do that because even when setting it to 4-speaker in Windows only the two front ones would play. But for whatever reason I didn't have to this last format.