Do you trust Yelp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Not at all. I have a photography side business. I was getting a healthy bit of clients from yelp (or at least they attributed yelp in finding me). Then one day Yelp reached out to me asking if I want to advertise with them. I didn't feel the need to as I have enough business already. So I declined. And since then, my yelp clients have dropped off considerably.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I don't know if it's Yelp filtering out bad reviews or people just like bad food but last year I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area from LA. Use Yelp to help me find decent Mexican places in the Bay Area but all the places I've been to with good Yelp reviews all suck. Or maybe Mexican food in the Bay Area just in general sucks.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I don't know if it's Yelp filtering out bad reviews or people just like bad food but last year I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area from LA. Use Yelp to help me find decent Mexican places in the Bay Area but all the places I've been to with good Yelp reviews all suck. Or maybe Mexican food in the Bay Area just in general sucks.

I don't really use Yelp. I just look at Google reviews. But it doesn't take a wise man to know that anything posted to the Internet should be taken with a large grain of salt.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
I don't take the reviews very seriously, but it's very handy for location, hours, menu, contact info, etc.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

That's it.

I think your best bets are in Oakland or south of SF, like in San Jose or Palo Alto, maybe San Carlos.