Do you tone down your driving when you have someone else in the car?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I am not a reckless driver by any means. I rarely speed more than 5mph over the limit. However, when I drive with someone else in my car, I usually take off slower, take corners slower, and other small things.

Do you append your driving habits when others are in the car?

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I'm commented that I'm like a Sunday driver with people in the car. I'm not an aggressive driver when alone, but I tend to be more sporty. This I've known about myself for the longest time.

Not that it's really a good excuse, on the public road, I'm just as responsible for other people's safety as I am when people are in the car with me. It's an illusion I should really stop, I think.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
yep, when driving with other people in the car, i take turns slower and accelerate gradually, braking is probably the same. It's more comfortable for the passenger(s).

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Usually. It's not that I don't drive safely when I'm by myself. When you're by yourself you know naturally anticipate higher acceleration and quicker turns, but it's harsh on a passenger if you have one.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I drive even rougher with some people in the car, but that's just because i like showing off.

with my mom though, I'll drive muchhhh calmer. Typically i'd take a 90 degree without slowing down from 35 or so, and with her i slow to like 5-10

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: KillerCharlie
Usually. It's not that I don't drive safely when I'm by myself. When you're by yourself you know naturally anticipate higher acceleration and quicker turns, but it's harsh on a passenger if you have one.
That sums it up nicely for me. I can anticipate the G forces so I will push the tires a bit more when alone.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: swtethan
I turn it up!

Yep =[ Its the car... not me. I mean when your driving a v8 mustang with loud exhaust. Some people just want to hear it and feel the car.

But, i try to be safe while doing it. However, i dont get wreckless @ all. I might shift out of 1st gear at 6000 RPM close to redline. Plus my exhaust dumps right into the ground so its loud. I mean when i have girls in my car than i tone it down, but still they say i drive crazy.

Oh Well!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I usually have to tone it up a bit, or else the passenger gets a bit impatient.

Oct 4, 2004
I don't drive a car much - I ride my bike 99% of the time. When I have a pillion rider, I tone my riding down dramatically (particularly if it's someone female). The comment about the G-forces is applicable even moreso on a bike. People can throw you a little off-balance if they aren't anticipating any rough moves.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
if its family no... but if its not yes...
either way i feel i drive safe just stay out of the fast lane more.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
i'm a safe driver but am well aware of my car's limits. there are some insanely stupid things i might do on my own (without endangering other drivers) that i would never do with others in the car.

plus, i do do some of the things u mentioned in the first post

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Naw... I drive pretty carefully and don't speed if it's just myself so I don't really drive any different with others in the car.

Oct 20, 2005
When driving alone, I'm usually pretty speedy. If I have passengers, I will change my driving somewhat depending on who it is. Some of my friends get car sick easier so I have to drive more slowly if they are in the car.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
family? yes... or if I've got a kid with me.

with my friends or coworkers, though, I don't.

I'm not a super aggressive driver, though. I usually drive about 10 miles over the speed limit, but I don't go crazy cutting people off, weaving in/out of traffic, etc.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
No.

I mean really, it's amusing to watch my mom grab onto the handles when taking a turn a little bit (and I do mean a little bit) faster than she would. I only drive 5-7mph over the speed limit all the time anyway... I usually do 6 when around cops, 'cause I'm a rebel like that. Although I swear I saw a cop pull someone over for 50 in a 45 this past weekend, because the guy wasn't going much faster than me and I was going 45 (slow car in front of me). That surprised me a bit as the cops usually don't care on that road unless you're going 55 or more.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
Yes.

When you are alone in the car, you know what you are doing so nothing to really worry about. When there's someone else in the car, they don't know what you are doing and start to worry/get nervous, which is not good. So I tone it down.