Do you tip on top of delivery charge?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
I tip on top of the delivery charge...most drivers don't get the delivery charge (Or a small fraction of it). I used to deliver for a place that had a $2 charge I think, I got like 50 cents.

Thats your problem not mine.

Enjoy your cold pizza.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
I tip on top of the delivery charge...most drivers don't get the delivery charge (Or a small fraction of it). I used to deliver for a place that had a $2 charge I think, I got like 50 cents.

Ah, the attitude of the general population these days. :roll:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
1. The delivery guys are taking 2 or 3 deliveries at the same time. If they aren't, that's because the restaurant is slow. Why would the restaurant be slow? Crappy pizza. Order from somewhere with good pizza.

2. "Cover the cost of gas" - I have a hard time believing that even at $3 per gallon, that the cost per delivery is even $1.

3. I had the sweetest deal: $10 per hour, company car, company paid for gas, etc., + tips. Regardless, I still hated taking deliveries. But the company's insurance wouldn't allow drivers under 25, so depending on the crew I was with, occasionally I had no choice.

4. If you were known as a good tipper, you got your pizza a whole heck of a lot quicker. Since 95% of our pizza sold was cheese and pepperoni, we were constantly cooking pizza that wasn't ordered yet. It wasn't uncommon for our good customers to get their pizza within 2 or 3 minutes; depending on the driving time.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: johnjohn320

Ah, the attitude of the general population these days. :roll:

No the general population is fine, it is the majority of elitists on here that will hang themselves if you give them enough rope.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: effowe
I always tip 20-25 percent. I used to drive pizzas so I empathize with them. They rely on tips as the hourly pay is a couple bucks, and they have to pay for their own gas and car maintenance (at least I did.) People that stiff the drivers are known, so if you are a consistent non-tipper, don't be surprised if you're getting more in your food than you ordered.

where you at that delivery drivers get a couple bucks? every wher ei have seen delivery drivers get min wage (or a few bucks more).

Wow. I've never known a waiter/delivery boy whose hourly wage was anywhere near min. wage. Including myself (I used to be a waiter), my hourly wage was just under half min. wage.

hmm odd.

ALL the places around here pay delivery drivers at least min wage. been that way for at least 15 years that i know of.

Called a tip offset.

It's allowed under federal law.

Around here (Dallas) waiters make $2.14 or so but delivery drivers make around $7/hour. I guess the basis is that you are way more likely to tip and tip more to a waiter/waitress. Also, they can handle more tables in an hour than a pizza person can handle in deliveries.

And I have never had a delivery charge, around here they only have a delivery charge whenever your order is <$15.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Yup, I tip $3 or so every time. I figure if I disagree with the place's policies, I shouldn't take it out on the driver, who probably doesnt even see the delivery charge (or has any influence over the policy). I can either vote with my dollars and order elsewhere or be a decent person and tip.

I also tip on carryout, especially places where I'm a regular. It takes time to pack that stuff up, so I usually give a dollar or two. Maybe not every visit, but at least every other.
Are you sh!tting me? "It takes time to pack things up?" Yeah, and it takes time to pack up your McDonalds order too. Do you tip them too? People can tip on whatever they'd like, but I'm definitely not tipping when I have to go pick it up. That's just ridiculous.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I tip on top of any delivery charge. Seems reasonable to me, and I hope the delivery guys are making good money.

I'd much rather prepare my own meals however.