Do you tip on top of delivery charge?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
First time I see a place that has a $2 delivery charge.

Is this a surcharge ensure guranteed tip or do you tip on top of the delivery charge?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
No I wouldn't tip on top of a delivery charge, but then again I won't ever order from a place that has one.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I do, but I subtract the delivery charge from the 15% tip. Papa Johns has a delivery charge, so I just do 15% of whatever the subtotal is (no tax, no delivery charge) and then subtract the charge (I think it's 1.50) and add that as my tip.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I tip on top of the delivery charge...most drivers don't get the delivery charge (Or a small fraction of it). I used to deliver for a place that had a $2 charge I think, I got like 50 cents.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
oh for a pizza or such? hell no. i see a delivery charge and subtract whatever i was going to tip for that.

I did pizza delivery for a short time. i was makeing $7/hr+ $.50 per delivery+ tips. on friday and sutardays i was makeing on average $15/hour

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am one of those folks who thinks tipping is stupid.
BUT, I also like getting quality service.

With pizza and Chinese food delivery I have found I get good service with a little tip and awesome service with a generous tip.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
i dont know the last time i had food delivered. the only pizza place in town i go to is 3 blocks away. ill gladly save any delivery charge or tip and just make the walk.

or drive. i want some but its god damn hot out :/

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
I tip on top of the delivery charge...most drivers don't get the delivery charge (Or a small fraction of it). I used to deliver for a place that had a $2 charge I think, I got like 50 cents.

Thats your problem not mine.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Yup, I tip $3 or so every time. I figure if I disagree with the place's policies, I shouldn't take it out on the driver, who probably doesnt even see the delivery charge (or has any influence over the policy). I can either vote with my dollars and order elsewhere or be a decent person and tip.

I also tip on carryout, especially places where I'm a regular. It takes time to pack that stuff up, so I usually give a dollar or two. Maybe not every visit, but at least every other.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I always tip 20-25 percent. I used to drive pizzas so I empathize with them. They rely on tips as the hourly pay is a couple bucks, and they have to pay for their own gas and car maintenance (at least I did.) People that stiff the drivers are known, so if you are a consistent non-tipper, don't be surprised if you're getting more in your food than you ordered.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: effowe
I always tip 20-25 percent. I used to drive pizzas so I empathize with them. They rely on tips as the hourly pay is a couple bucks, and they have to pay for their own gas and car maintenance (at least I did.) People that stiff the drivers are known, so if you are a consistent non-tipper, don't be surprised if you're getting more in your food than you ordered.

where you at that delivery drivers get a couple bucks? every wher ei have seen delivery drivers get min wage (or a few bucks more).

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy

where you at that delivery drivers get a couple bucks? every wher ei have seen delivery drivers get min wage (or a few bucks more).

I only worked at local pizza places, not chains. Sir Nicks, Papa Saverios, Taylor Street, Tortorices, and none of them paid even minimum wage. We were pretty much reliant on our tips to make money. If there were no deliveries we would get like 5 bucks an hour, but otherwise it was nothing to a couple bucks an hour (depending on the place.)

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Tip should be on top of what it costs, right?

That delivery charge is so they can pay for gas, doesn't even include oil changes and other car maintenance. The tip should be on top of that.

I always tip a standard 15% with a $2 minimum and round up, for 1 pizza. Beyond 1 pizza, I'd say $2 base plus $1 for each extra item plus round up, and you'll get close to 15%. If you have extra things for them to include like sauces, red pepper, etc. then I'll add a little more too.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

Wow. I've never known a waiter/delivery boy whose hourly wage was anywhere near min. wage. Including myself (I used to be a waiter), my hourly wage was just under half min. wage.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: johnjohn320

Wow. I've never known a waiter/delivery boy whose hourly wage was anywhere near min. wage. Including myself (I used to be a waiter), my hourly wage was just under half min. wage.

hmm odd.

ALL the places around here pay delivery drivers at least min wage. been that way for at least 15 years that i know of.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Depends. If there is a delivery charge and I get prompt service, yes. If not, no.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: johnjohn320

hmm odd.

ALL the places around here pay delivery drivers at least min wage. been that way for at least 15 years that i know of.

Called a tip offset.

It's allowed under federal law.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I haven't had food delivered in years. Can't even remember the last time. TOo cheap to tip people. But if they charged me extra for delivery, then no, I wouldn't tip them. Might just round it up. But I'd be sure to tell the guy why he wasn't getting a tip so he could just go yell at the manager. But I don't know anywhere that has delivery charges around here.