Do you think you're smarter than people around you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

oreagan

Jul 8, 2002
IQ doesn't mean crud. It's an intelligent quotient of mental age over physical age - if you score a 150 on an IQ test when you're 40, it means you have the mental age of a 60 year old. Oooh, big compliment. Also, no one "has" an IQ of anything. You score a number on a test. It's like saying I have an 800 verbal SAT, when the correct way to say it is I scored an 800 on the verbal section of the SAT, once. It's not an intrinsic part of my being like people think their IQ is. Sorry for the rant, just gets on my nerves.

And at high school, yeah, I was smarter than everyone except 2 or 3 of my friends (which is why they were my friends). Heading off to UVa, however...we'll see.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
At school? No, my school is ranked 50th in the nation and is full of very bright kids. At home, yes. I guess you could say I got the best of both my parents. It is actually quite annoying being around them so much. I cannot wait till I go College.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I suppose.....

I've always gone to the special schools for gifted students.... now college is a breeze, and even at my internship, I feel like I'm more intelligent than some of the other people here.

However, there are plenty of people that are smarter than me because of all their life experience...

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think...I know...

Actually that is not true. I have a programmer that works for me that is 10x smarter than me...too bad he doesn't have the people skills...

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
I work at a landfill in management. It makes the assumption that I'm smarter than the rank and file heavy equipment operators and laborers come fairly easily. However, I'm prone to think analytically about this very topic: "Am I the smartest one at this workplace?" So I'm beyond the assumption part.

I think it is likely that I happen to have the highest IQ of the 18 people that work here. My credentials are pretty good for supporting that claim. But I could never be certain. My boss has an MBA, for example and a degree in Finance. And some of the guys are just quiet, making it more difficult to estimate their (perhaps untapped) intellectual prowess.

Also, since I'm good at math and memorize most local phone numbers if I use them more than two times, I tend to think that mathematics and numbers are a good litmus test for high IQ. Others without mathematical inclination would propably disagree and point to some other skill such as languages or musical talent or what have you.

Of course, in the end the fact of who is smarter can't dictate function or priorities. There are guys here with 15+ years of experience in operating landfill equipment. When I write the specifications for the purchase of a new piece of hardware, I rely on their experience to guide me. Also, a few people here are in their fifties. When things start to get political/soap opera-ish I listen to their wisdom very intently. They've seen it all before, and they usually know how to avoid the land mines, or just maintain the proper perspective on the issue.

Age. Experience. Wisdom. Intelligence. I may have the edge on the intelligence around here (likely) but almost everyone here outclasses me in some other area. Being smarter does not exempt someone from the rules or etiquette.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
It's a matter of how you define "smart". I know many book-smart people but when it comes to the simplest thing, they're clueless. They can't adapt to new ideas, etc. yet, they get the best grades. I would say I'm above average but I won't say I'm smart.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Originally posted by: Ynog
No, I work with many people with multiple PHDs in everything from Physics, EE, CE, CS, Math
Not to mention some all out genuises. So when it comes to the people I work with no I don't
think I am smarter than them. Matter of fact I am in taken back by alot of the knowledge.

On the other hand, I am probably smarter than alot of my friends(outside of work). But I don't think they would
argue with me on that.

Knowledge!=smart

My fiancee is smarter than me but in so many areas, I can put her to shame in knowledge. I can usually beat her in trivial pursuit and any general knowledge game.

BUT when it comes to using knowledge, creating new ideas, and assessing ideas, she is beyond me. Not to say I am stupid but she is just smarter.

My mom is a person that is VERY VERY smart but is a complete idiot on finances. She also didn't have anything higher than a high school education but just by talking with her over the years, I know she is very bright.

I guess it boils down to if you consider, knowledge as being smart or being able to use the knowledge as being smart.

I know plenty of people that could memorize buttloads of info and beat my ass on tests in college but they couldn't use a damn thing they learned.

I completely agree with you.
Someone that knows alot of information doesn't make them smart
its how you use it.
Anyone with a photographic can remember information.

Being smart is the ability to use what you learned.

That said the people I work with not only know alot, but can use it.
Not to mention when given something new, they can learn, pick up
and turn around and use it with ease.

I find that to be one of the true tests of intelligence.
How quickly you pick up new stuff and turn around and use it.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
generally speaking yes. I'm woefully ignorant in certain broad categories (mechanical implementation, electricity and magnatism, and the like). However, I pick things up quite quickly and do well solving theoretical problems. You have to work hard to use your intelligence though, so it hasn't proven to be an unstoppable advantage.

yeah. i'm lazy.

ILikeStuff

Jan 7, 2003
I'm smarter than the majority of the people around me, but I tend to be lacking in the common sense department

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
YES.

Think of how stupid the average person is. Then think... half of them are even stupider than that!