do you think you can completely pull yourself up on the olympic rings (gymnastic event)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
When I was younger probably, but not any more, I'd need rocket assist like someone else mentioned.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I guess I'm the only one thinking the opposite - I don't think I could pull myself up completely, but I'm confident about the handstand afterwards!

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Could and did about two years ago, probably couldn't do it right now unless I trained up for it specifically.

Originally posted by: TallBill

Most of that video was silly, but the first shot was rediculous. Some serious strength to rocket up like that.

TRUTH.

That dude could probably rocket right up the salmon run on ninja warrior. I wonder how he trained for that move.

edit: Woops, I read the OP wrong. I thought this was about the iron cross. I can and still do 'muscle-ups' but I don't think I could pull off an iron cross.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
I could do it when I was a little kid and did gymnastics.

These days, my arms would be torn from their sockets before I could do it. :D

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: TallBill

Most of that video was silly, but the first shot was rediculous. Some serious strength to rocket up like that.

yea rocket was decent. but the rest was sad monkeying around by adults in a childrens playground. no gracefulness or skill, just the strength that comes with basic pumping iron. wth is with showing off at a playground man. thats just sad.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Maybe; I haven't tried doing a pullup in a while. My lats suck.

But assuming I manage the pullup, I can easily push into the final position. I love doing dips, btw.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
yea back in high school i did. today? no fricken way i can feel my lats and pecs tearing now.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I can do around 15 quality pullups but I have to say on this one I am not sure. I think with some swinging of legs and what not I could probably do it, but it would take practice to get the balance and not fall forward/backward when they're down by the waist.

BTW that black dude vid a few posts up is impressive. I've seen others with some black guys at a playground with insane power to weight ratios, and massive guys, too.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Depends, the way you describe it, sure, but the way they do it - arms completely straight the whole way up - not a chance.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I don't see why not, but my gym doesn't have rings like that. I can do plenty of pull-ups though...

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
Originally posted by: HN
wait, you mean like a muscle-up?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2yxbtvH7vM

yup, that's exactly what i mean.

holy crap, jodi can kick my ass.
Text
Ah, ok then. I'm proud to say i can do those. 7 in a row is my max. Did 30 total in 10min, 35sec.

Some links for you:
Article on developing the muscle-up (full pdf article in this page): http://www.crossfit.com/journa...scleup_nov_02_cfj.html

Videos of developing the muscle-up (if it doesn't anchor, go down to "Seminar Highlights" and see the 3 "Developing a Muscle-up..." videos):
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Hilites

And finally, one of the smoothest muscle-ups i've seen:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2q8KMnWUsvg

ades

Jul 13, 2007
At 126 lbs and 5'2, i really hope so... the only good thing about being small is that I'm naturally gymnastic.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Could I do it? I'm really not sure. I think I'd have to try it to find out for sure though. I do fine with pullups, chin ups, dips, etc. but I think some people aren't realizing that this is completely different. The rings are not stationary. A pullup/chin up/dip bar will not move as you do, rings will. The extra amount of strength needed to keep stabilization while pulling up and then pushing up adds a significant amount of difficulty. This is not the same as being able to do a pull up, and then a dip.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Maybe...probably hurt myself in the process though as it's not a motion I'd be used to doing.