do you think you can completely pull yourself up on the olympic rings (gymnastic event)?

Jul 10, 2007
and by completely, i mean from a hanging position, to where you're propping yourself up, arms fully extended with your hands below your buttocks.

i've never tried but when i think about it, its really a break down of pull/chin up (upper back), then tucking your arms towards your midsection (shoulders), to a reverse dip (triceps).

your (more difficult) alternative is from hanging, go to an iron cross, and continue through until you reach the position.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Gymnastics in HS - no problem - build up muscles swinging an axe.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Probably, but it's a different range of motion than I'm accustomed to doing at say, the gym, so it's tough to gauge.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
If I had to guess, I would put it at maybe 5% of american males could do it, man the amount of strength you need in your triceps would have to be pretty huge.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah no problem. I've screwed around with the rings before. Pulling yourself up wouldnt be bad. As for turning into a hand stand? That's another story.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
im 100% positive i cant, even when i was in great shape i would vote no, i was never one to build massive arm/upper body mass

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
I guess if u can't do a clean chin up, then the answer is definitle no.

How do you double post and someone posts inbetween your double post?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Pull up to dip up style sure (muscle up apparently). I couldn't possibly do it the arms extended out way (iron cross I guess).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MrLee
Yeah no problem. I've screwed around with the rings before. Pulling yourself up wouldnt be bad. As for turning into a hand stand? That's another story.

pulling up normal pull up style is easy. the gymnastics way is to pull up arms stretched straight up and down from your sides like making a snow angel. basically only shoulder strength. massive stress on the shoulder muscles/joints and all that. probably rape most peoples bodies.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Maybe a few years ago... but after two shoulder surgeries, it pains me to even think about attempting it.