Do you think this setup will work?

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
Girlfriend has cheap Compaq with Sempron 3800+, Windows XP and 512 meg Ram. As I bought the Orange Box, I can now give away my previous copy of HL2. I have a 7600GT in my system and it plays HL2 flawlessly. As it doesn't require an external power connection, I figure it's not too power hungry and wondered if it would tax the above mentioned Compaq if I bought and put one in there so I could give HL2 for her son. I'm sure it's a very wimpy power supply, would the 7600GT put it over the edge? If you think it would if I looked for a bargain power supply that might be good enough and replaced with that at time of installing video card, do you think it would still be a waste due to low processor and low memory?

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
I would add at least 512MB of RAM for a total of 1GB, otherwise it might be a waste of time.

If that card doesn't need additional PSU power, the stock PSU shoud be OK.

HL2 requires a lot of memory, otherwise the gameplay will be "stuttery" IMO.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
It wouldn't tax it; the biggest problem is the RAM, as JustaGeek mentioned. I had a 6800NU in a Dell with a P4 and 512mb RAM and *almost* ran CS:Source and HL2 fine (I'm like 80% sure I was CPU-bound), so your girlfriend's system should be able to pull through.

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
If I decided to "overhaul" the system and put in more memory, possibly a better power supply, would it be worth it to change CPU to Athlon 64 3800? Unfortunately mb won't take X2 CPU.