Do you think there should be border control?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Mandatory e-Verify for every company in the U.S.A., Mandatory fines and prison sentence for employers who hire illegally, 35% tax on wire transfers to Mexico and South America.

That's escape from reality, right? Everybody knows none of that will actually happen, so why pretend?

We've heard that rant & all its corollaries every 2 years since back during the Bush Admin. Rev up the stupid fear & hate machine, again. And vote Republican, of course, apparently because you enjoy the prospect of screwing millions of icky brown people regardless of what it would do to this country.

It's insane. We're better than that.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
That's escape from reality, right? Everybody knows none of that will actually happen, so why pretend?

We've heard that rant & all its corollaries every 2 years since back during the Bush Admin. Rev up the stupid fear & hate machine, again. And vote Republican, of course, apparently because you enjoy the prospect of screwing millions of icky brown people regardless of what it would do to this country.

It's insane. We're better than that.
Maybe you are?

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
To the simple question, I think there should be border control. That's is a basic requirement of a nation state to protect it's borders and it's people. We don't live in a world where people can flow freely from place to place. they are constrained by nation states and their laws. The US needs these laws and they should be enforced. It's just a matter of how you do it. IT's like J-walking or speeding on the freeway in LA. The law is there for a reason and even if it's not working right now doesn't mean we don't need it. Maybe if folks could just get together and create reasonable solutions with compromises on all sides. Just a thought...or we could build a wall.

TheGreatBigDog

Apr 6, 2018
Not just the wall but do you agree with the government spending on border control at all? Do you think there should be less, the same, or more? Are there other methods of control that you think would be more effective?

The wall is an ineffective, expensive, wasteful way to do it but at the end of the day it is border control. Do you think we should be stopping people from crossing it?
A lot more obviously from the current state of the border states. Illegals are turning the country into the same type of ghetto their country has been for a long time.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just watched a video of a National Guard helicopter, with a reporter inside. They were flying over the Rio Grande and spotted some people carrying, who made it to the US side. They were carrying over 300lbs of narcotics. I loved every minute of of that bust. Now they'll be property of the US correctional system for a long time. Not today, Jose!
Sending the NG to the border is a great move.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
A lot more obviously from the current state of the border states. Illegals are turning the country into the same type of ghetto their country has been for a long time.
We have a number of Mexicans around my parts. A couple of my contractor friends employ them, and it's not the case that they're displacing the opiod-addled spawn of native Americans from the jobs, either. Those lazy, unreliable, by and large entitlement-addicted dimbulbs aren't worth shite and won't take the jobs anyway.

These folks, otoh, are country solid -- campesinos -- strong on family, direct and friendly, and used to hard but honest work. And this, my friend, is the American story, built on the backs of successive wave of immigrants who came here for a better life.

You, on the other hand, are a shithole racist ignoramus with shithole Fox News feces exiting your blubbering, bigoted mouth.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Quite the contrary. The GOP is turning this country into the kind of place where these people come from, countries where a few very wealthy families own & run everything while the rest get bumpkus.

Reactions: bshole

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I have to admit that when I first saw this thread I thought it said birth control which would immediately attract a certain right leaning audience and in my defense I wasn't wearing my glasses.:p

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I just watched a video of a National Guard helicopter, with a reporter inside. They were flying over the Rio Grande and spotted some people carrying, who made it to the US side. They were carrying over 300lbs of narcotics. I loved every minute of of that bust. Now they'll be property of the US correctional system for a long time. Not today, Jose!
less than 10% of drugs enter the country that way

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

No. Historically sending the guard to the border is extremely expensive and fairly ineffective at actually getting anything done regardless of if it makes for good TV.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Was going to start my own thread on the subject but decided to continue this one. Here is the latest on the migrant caravan:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino...r-migrants-caravan-tell-their-stories-n865751

Days from reaching the U.S. border, migrants in caravan tell their stories

I read the article and my heart goes out to these people BUT one thing in the article struck me:

"We have rights as humans to be safe, and I believe the troops at the border will respect that."

Question: So EVERY human has the right to illegally enter the USA if they do not feel safe? I come from immigrants and believe in (legal) immigration ... but isn't this getting a bit ridiculous? Many countries imprison those who enter their countries illegally ... sometimes for many years.

Torn between compassion and the perception of entitlement ...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
This perception of entitlement is why they keep coming and a lack of border security is why the succeed. We have a legal process for immigration and they should respect it just as all people from around the world should.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
<snip>

As I said before and I will say it again. Each and every single sovereign nation on Earth with a centralized government has the right to control its border and who can enter and leave. I haven't been to a single country (nada, zip, nope) that you can sneak in or overstay your visa and then whine and bitch when you are caught like so many ILLEGALS are doing now in the US.

I am still waiting for the ILLEGALS supporters in this forum to give me a name, just one, of a sovereign country that has zero border control and anyone could come and go as they please.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As I said before and I will say it again. Each and every single sovereign nation on Earth with a centralized government has the right to control its border and who can enter and leave. I haven't been to a single country (nada, zip, nope) that you can sneak in or overstay your visa and then whine and bitch when you are caught like so many ILLEGALS are doing now in the US.

I am still waiting for the ILLEGALS supporters in this forum to give me a name, just one, of a sovereign country that has zero border control and anyone could come and go as they please.

Beat that straw man.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Beat that straw man.

If what I said was wrong, then why NONE of you ILLEGALS supporters was able to dispute it? Facts are facts. :D

EVERYONE should follow immigration rules and laws EQUALLY. Period. Straw man that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If what I said was wrong, then why NONE of you ILLEGALS supporters was able to dispute it? Facts are facts. :D

EVERYONE should follow immigration rules and laws EQUALLY. Period. Straw man that.

Nobody here has advocated no border control or that anybody should be able to come or go as they please. You offered a classic straw man argument when you made the claim that such an argument has been made. It hasn't.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This perception of entitlement is why they keep coming and a lack of border security is why the succeed. We have a legal process for immigration and they should respect it just as all people from around the world should.

Your reading comprehension is apparently poor. The people in question aren't trying to sneak in. They intend to apply for asylum at an official border crossing. We obviously have established procedures to deal with that.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Your reading comprehension is apparently poor. The people in question aren't trying to sneak in. They intend to apply for asylum at an official border crossing. We obviously have established procedures to deal with that.
Applying for asylum is part of legal immigration and I will not resort to abasing you in return.:D

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Americas when the white folks came. Without their genocideic invasion, YOU wouldn't be here, enjoying the protection and entitlement of those who came before you.

So . . . LEAVE NOW, YOU F*CKING DIM BULB, LATE ARRIVING, AHISTORICAL HYPOCRITE.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The Americas when the white folks came. Without their genocideic invasion, YOU wouldn't be here, enjoying the protection and entitlement of those who came before you.

So . . . LEAVE NOW, YOU F*CKING DIM BULB, LATE ARRIVING, AHISTORICAL HYPOCRITE.
Hell, you'd think they should at least be able to buy a green card for a handful of beads.

Reactions: Victorian Gray