Do you think the Xbox360 or the PS3 has been a better piece of hardware?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
PS3 without a doubt. While I have had a couple of them fail on me they have only failed at a 33% clip as compared to the 80% failure rate I have seen with my Xbox 360's.

The real answer here is the Wii, which has a 0% failure rate through 5 different consoles.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
PS3 without a doubt. While I have had a couple of them fail on me they have only failed at a 33% clip as compared to the 80% failure rate I have seen with my Xbox 360's.

The real answer here is the Wii, which has a 0% failure rate through 5 different consoles.

I wonder if the rate would be higher on the Wii if more people actually turned them on... :p

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I've owned both consoles, I sold the X360 before it can RROD on me. Still got a fatty PS3, not PS2 compatible, upgraded to 320GB HD myself. Still chucking along nicely after all these years.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I wonder if the rate would be higher on the Wii if more people actually turned them on...
That's a good point, because Nintendo cheaped out on later Gamecubes and I can't seem them giving the Wii a ball bearing fan or high quality caps.

Also, due to the fact that the Wii doesn't use any digital outputs, both the audio and video quality will degrade after a certain amount of use. I was actually considering going against my better judgement by trying to buy a Wii-U for this Christmas. However, if it doesn't have S/PDIF optical output and/or 120Hz input, then I'm not going to bother especially since there will probably be a decent N64 emulator and since dolphin should be near perfect by the time the Wii-U has been out for a year and one-half.
I don't have a 120Hz input display, but I think next year may see some good ones come out.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
I have both. From my experience, I think they're the same. Having said that, I have had 2 360s failed on me. My original PS3 is still running strong.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
i have both xbox 360 and ps3 and a pc :D ? if i had to choose between the 2 i would choose the xbox 360 because it has better online mp and all games games support 1080p

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
PS3 for me:

- Blu-Ray drive means you can use it to rent BluRays at Red Box on the cheap
- Without looking up stats, most likely a much lower failure rate, especially against the earlier Xbox 360s
- A lot more exclusive titles and imo better quality exclusives
- Have to get Xbox Live Gold membership to use Netflix on the 360
- Savings of $40-50 a year on Xbox Live x 7 years of ownership = $280-350 in savings!
- PS3 allows you to upgrade the HDD to anything you want, including an SSD vs. proprietary expensive HDD on the 360
- PS3's controller recharge while you have to buy batteries for the 360 (more $ drain for MS's console).
- Early 360s were loud as hell. The DVD drive and the fans could be heard 10 feet away!

Honestly, because I already have PC, I find the 360 the most redundant console. It has the least exclusives and FPS and cross-platform games are better on the PC. I do enjoy playing Forza and Gears of War (co-op) at a friend's house and prefer the feel of larger 360 controller to the PS3. But I don't think the 360 is worth buying for 3-5 games.

Hardware spec wise, there isn't much point getting into the details since graphics wise the 2 consoles are more or less comparable (but I think the PS3 exclusives have better graphics than 360 exclusives).

OOps, didn't know I already posted in this thread ;)

Last edited:

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
For me, it's the PS3. The XBox hasn't been turned on since I got the ps3. I prefer to play on my pc rather then a console if possible, so that nixes a lot of the 360's exclusives. And the PS3 controller is superior to the 360's, so on console-exclusives I buy the PS3 version preferentially.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
i have both xbox 360 and ps3 and a pc :D ? if i had to choose between the 2 i would choose the xbox 360 because it has better online mp and all games games support 1080p

No.

But on the topic, I have all 3 and tbh only my kids play with the Xbox for kinect. Otherwise I am on the PC or playing any of the numorous PS3 exclusives. As far as hardware goes, I would say the PS3 edges out the Xbox if pushed by anyone who actually tries (Naughty Dog).

Online Microsoft kills Sony though. I can only hope Sony is seriously focusing on PSN 2.0 for Playstation 4.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I've owned both consoles, I sold the X360 before it can RROD on me. Still got a fatty PS3, not PS2 compatible, upgraded to 320GB HD myself. Still chucking along nicely after all these years.

Same here in every way.

Sometimes I kind of wish I kept the xbox 360 for some of the stuff that's coming out or give the Kinect a try but not enough to buy another one.

Since this damn Cinavia crap though, I'm using my PS3 a lot less for non-gaming purposes and just defaulting to using my Roku with Plex instead.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I wonder if the rate would be higher on the Wii if more people actually turned them on... :p

I leave mine on for days at a time, play Animal Crossing daily with my wife and we've never had a problem with any of them....even the modded one.

I agree with Alpha. The Xbox Duke controller was better than the 360 or S version imho. Of course both are not as good as the PS3 controller. Again, just imho.

Last edited:

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
lol. Good one. ;)

The batteries last longer, and the PS3 charges them faster then the replaceables I had in my 360 controller could. I've never cared much for the ergonomics on the 360 controllers, and the 360 controller weighs about twice what the PS3 controller weighs - makes it much less comfortable for me to use for any length of time.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
The batteries last longer, and the PS3 charges them faster then the replaceables I had in my 360 controller could. I've never cared much for the ergonomics on the 360 controllers, and the 360 controller weighs about twice what the PS3 controller weighs - makes it much less comfortable for me to use for any length of time.

Are you 5 yrs old? Because that is really the only way I'd see the extra "weight" of the 360's controller being a factor.

As for me, I have a 360 Slim, 360 Elite, PS3 80GB (not backwards compatible) and an original PS3 60GB console upgraded to 500GB (working perfectly after I replaced the laser unit). I actually play the PS3 the most, but only because my friend has a PS3. If it were up to me, I'd play online with my 360 Slim 100% of the time.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
PS3 and Xbox 360 games look the same to me and I have owned both. No games from either console demonstrate that one is more powerful then the other. I'm including exclusives in this.

All PS3s have hard drives and blu-ray players so it has the better hardware. However, I have noticed that many games have longer load times on the PS3 due to the blu-ray drive being slower then the Xbox 360's DVD drive. Also, some games on the PS3 require a mandatory install so they do not have long load times.

The Xbox 360 has shorter load times overall and the console allows for full installs that increase the load times even more, however you must change disks on some games.

Personally, I would rather change disks then deal with long load times. Which makes the Xbox the better console for gaming in general. This generation of consoles is very similar hardware-wise and it is nothing like the PS2 vs Xbox 1.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I've got both and rarely turn on the PS3. I use it for PS3 exclusives and Blu-Ray. I find the 360 superior in every other way but to be honest it probably boils down to the fact that I prefer the online experience, the controller, and I can't believe I'm saying this but I like the achievement system. I know a lot of what I'm talking about is software but it's really about the entire experience and not just the hardware anyway I guess.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Unbelievable. We had a quick power surge and now my Wii won't power up anymore. I blame Anandtech hackers.

(not really)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

No, all games don't support 1080p. In fact most of them aren't even rendered at 720p. They are upscaled.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Are you 5 yrs old? Because that is really the only way I'd see the extra "weight" of the 360's controller being a factor.

Well, you'd see wrong then. Weight is a major factor in comfort when you're holding anything for long periods of time. That's why both the cell phones and tablets are constantly going for ever lighter weights.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Well, you'd see wrong then. Weight is a major factor in comfort when you're holding anything for long periods of time. That's why both the cell phones and tablets are constantly going for ever lighter weights.

Yes, but those things are portable. Big difference when carrying something around with you on the go versus sitting on a couch in your home.

I have never once in all my gaming time been "fatigued" from the Xbox 360 controller, or any controller, being 'too heavy'. That's rubbish. The weight in this case is actually better and more comfortable.

The 360 controller is all-around more comfortable and ergonomic anyway, better triggers and vastly better and more natural placement of the analog sticks.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
The 360 controller is all-around more comfortable and ergonomic anyway, better triggers and vastly better and more natural placement of the analog sticks.

That is only YOUR opinion and while many people may share it that remains an opinion. Arguing opinions is pointless guys, let it go. I agree with Alpha that the PS controller is far superior but you could find a million guys who agree with you, too. What point would it make either way? Both are decent controllers but I have big hands so I am looking forward to the WiiU controller (big one with the screen) in all honesty for a nice change of pace.

Unplugged my power cable from both the Wii and the surge strip, plugged it back in a few minutes later and it powered right up. Those damn things are tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.