Discussion Do you think the Senate Republicans will vote to remove Trump from Office?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will the Senate Republicans vote to remove Trump?

• Total voters

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
What do you mean, "the remains of his base"? I sure haven't seen his base leaving. His base is now pretty much what constitutes the party. He routinely polls in 90% range re Republican support. And the vast majority of these people will never vote for a Democrat, I suspect even if they found a Democrat like Trump. ;)

I just mean whatever is left after the "well, let's give it a chance" independents moved on (if they even existed in the first place). The firm base he's had for the past 2 years.

That's the question then. I agree they'll never vote Dem, but would they stay home? If not, the senate may be comfortable removing Trump since that base would likely translate to Pence (or someone else if they tried to put up another candidate).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I just mean whatever is left after the "well, let's give it a chance" independents moved on (if they even existed in the first place). The firm base he's had for the past 2 years.

That's the question then. I agree they'll never vote Dem, but would they stay home? If not, the senate may be comfortable removing Trump since that base would likely translate to Pence (or someone else if they tried to put up another candidate).

Trump commands the GOP base. He also has no loyalty to the GOP. He'll lay them to waste if they don't back him. Scorched earth to the horizon & beyond.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I would bet if Trump keeps incriminating himself -- probably NO!! Because they are blind to everything that happens excewpt for who is in the White House!! It is a very sad state of affairs!! When the will of the people is not represented by our elected officials!1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're virtually guaranteed to have sold your soul already if you are in the GOP, so I don't expect any of them to vote their conscience.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trump commands the GOP base. He also has no loyalty to the GOP. He'll lay them to waste if they don't back him. Scorched earth to the horizon & beyond.
Nah, he's not that powerful. He can jump up and down and vehemently condemn them or anyone but he won't raise any eyebrows in doing so. The Republican Party is likely to survive Trump, but there's not much left to salvage at this point. He's already decimated them in terms of destroying their reputation. Fact is, some of them better choose off against Trump if they want to have any shot at saving themselves. He will be a lame duck eventually, no matter what.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Nah, he's not that powerful. He can jump up and down and vehemently condemn them or anyone but he won't raise any eyebrows in doing so. The Republican Party is likely to survive Trump, but there's not much left to salvage at this point. He's already decimated them in terms of destroying their reputation. Fact is, some of them better choose off against Trump if they want to have any shot at saving themselves. He will be a lame duck eventually, no matter what.

I don't think you understand the irrational basis for Trumpism. If he were removed from office & facing charges he could tell the base to write him in & a lot of them would, destroying a GOP candidate's chances. He can send the base to primary the fuck out of anybody who voted against him & they'd give it their best shot. His popularity among conservatives is actually a revolt against GOP leadership, even if they haven't quite figured that out themselves. Trump had the GOP right by the balls the day he won & still does.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Shit, he could run independent for every election until he dies and perpetually fuck the GOP if they cross him.

So when the Devil wants to dance with you, you better say never
Because a dance with the Devil might last you forever

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Shit, he could run independent for every election until he dies and perpetually fuck the GOP if they cross him.

So when the Devil wants to dance with you, you better say never
Because a dance with the Devil might last you forever
I think if he is impeached and removed from office, Congress can have it where he cannot run for any public office, ever.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm going to tell myself a happy story. The Republicans got themselves elected by brainwashing to public to hate the government. Now they are the government and Trump is well on his way to destroying it by helping Russia and China take over the world. So Republicans have been so successful they are about to destroy themselves and I think think second thoughts will make them convict Trump in the end. I mean it's all well and good to destroy somebody else, but it's gets a bit tougher when the gun is pointed at your own head. So we will see.

• Haha
Reactions: CHADBOGA

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'm going to tell myself a happy story. The Republicans got themselves elected by brainwashing to public to hate the government. Now they are the government and Trump is well on his way to destroying it by helping Russia and China take over the world. So Republicans have been so successful they are about to destroy themselves and I think think second thoughts will make them convict Trump in the end. I mean it's all well and good to destroy somebody else, but it's gets a bit tougher when the gun is pointed at your own head. So we will see.
Nice bedtime story!!

Reactions: Indus

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think if he is impeached and removed from office, Congress can have it where he cannot run for any public office, ever.

That doesn't mean his cult followers can't write him in, depriving the GOP contender of the votes necessary to win. They can just stay home, accomplishing the same thing. Either way it cascades down the ticket, putting the hurt to the GOP.

GOP strategists are probably in denial as to how their base got so crazy after working for decades to make 'em that way. They thought they could always control it, keep it from boiling over into complete madness. Mass insanity doesn't work that way-

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't think you understand the irrational basis for Trumpism. If he were removed from office & facing charges he could tell the base to write him in & a lot of them would, destroying a GOP candidate's chances. He can send the base to primary the fuck out of anybody who voted against him & they'd give it their best shot. His popularity among conservatives is actually a revolt against GOP leadership, even if they haven't quite figured that out themselves. Trump had the GOP right by the balls the day he won & still does.
Well, that's a nice picture for you and you can believe it if you want, and you might be right, but I doubt it's that simple or that it can/will/would work out that way. What Trump believes and the way he acts is one thing. Trumpism will die with him, there won't be another like him, thank goodness. This is a miserable chapter in American history and I fear it underscores the fall of America. I used to be an optimist. This is tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indus

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well, that's a nice picture for you and you can believe it if you want, and you might be right, but I doubt it's that simple or that it can/will/would work out that way. What Trump believes and the way he acts is one thing. Trumpism will die with him, there won't be another like him, thank goodness. This is a miserable chapter in American history and I fear it underscores the fall of America. I used to be an optimist. This is tough.

Meh. So long as Trump is alive he'll hold the GOP hostage to his malevolent narcissism. They brought it on themselves. He is, in many ways, merely a symptom of the sickness at the core of their ideology.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Meh. So long as Trump is alive he'll hold the GOP hostage to his malevolent narcissism. They brought it on themselves. He is, in many ways, merely a symptom of the sickness at the core of their ideology.
Can't disagree.

I should note that I live outside Trump territory. There is Trump territory in CA, but where I live, in Berkeley, CA, it's anything but Trump territory, so I never get to rub shoulders/elbows, etc. with the kind of people who might be called Trump base people. I'm curious, I do see brief interviews with them, scour what I can, but in terms of face to face, it just isn't here!

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
If barred I guess we could have Don Jr as the write in or third party.

It wouldn’t take a whole lot of votes peeled off to make the GOP irrelevant. Heck, maybe he could start a new party and start running senators in GOP states.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Man let's hope so. Congress, once this disaster is over, will be needing to pass some serious anti-corruption legislation so this shit doesn't happen again, or at least can be resisted better. Our democracy needs more tools against the likes of Team Treason.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If barred I guess we could have Don Jr as the write in or third party.

It wouldn’t take a whole lot of votes peeled off to make the GOP irrelevant. Heck, maybe he could start a new party and start running senators in GOP states.

Not quite. He can still run for office even if barred from office on the basis of a write-in campaign. He doesn't have to win to destroy the GOP if they turn against him. Spite has always been one of his prime motivations.

The GOP Senate simply can't turn against him. He'll scuttle the ship rather than relinquish command. McConnell knows it full well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not quite. He can still run for office even if barred from office on the basis of a write-in campaign. He doesn't have to win to destroy the GOP if they turn against him. Spite has always been one of his prime motivations.

The GOP Senate simply can't turn against him. He'll scuttle the ship rather than relinquish command. McConnell knows it full well.
He can only do that if he knows shit that will crater the party.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

Well, he has a few weapons in his toolbox and if even 5% of his base truly are the nutters we believe them to be he could take down the party for years.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He can only do that if he knows shit that will crater the party.

He doesn't need to know anything to crater the Party. He holds them hostage by dint of stealing their base. If he says Fuck the GOP a sizeable number of them will follow & said fucking will occur. Which means the GOP Senate will stand behind him no matter what.

It's not like nobody tried to warn them as they progressively crazified a large segment of the American public. Waging the Culture War won them elections for decades even as they picked the pockets of working people. Depending on where you look, it's still working for them. Lots of conservative White Americans are basically scared shitless of the rest of us.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I don't know how anyone could vote "yes" in this poll. Trump is the GOP. The GOP's voters love him like no one else in recent memory. If McConnell allowed the senate to convict it would be handing the entire government over to the Democrats in 2021 because no one in the base would turn out to vote for a GOP that just strung up their messiah. Trump is everything the right wing mass media has conditioned its audience to want. The GOP is going to be Trump and Trump clones all the way down for the foreseeable future. A secret ballot in the senate wouldn't save the GOP in the 2020 election.